The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What is this horse thinking? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-horse-thinking-131553/)

ShelbyLovesHorses 07-19-2012 06:06 PM

What is this horse thinking?

I just started a full 1 year lease on a horse ( will post pics of her in another thread) I'm keeping her at the facility that I've been working at. The trainer that owns this place has about 10 horses and I'm quite familiar with all of them as I've been working there for awhile now. One of her geldings, Ben, is a young OTTB and he's always been terrified of me, he's very shy around anyone besides my trainer, and she said he's still kind of a mess when you ride him. When all the geldings come walking in the barn in the morning he will go out of his way to walk as far away from me as possible. So I've given him his space and left him be since there's plenty of other horses for me to love on. So fast forward now my horse is here and she's in the same herd as Ben and they've become best buddies. The past couple times I've gone out in the pasture Ben comes right up to me and let's me pet him and rub on him like I'm his best friend. Today I was just out there chatting with my mare and he wouldn't leave me alone, he followed me all over that **** pasture every time I turned around he was like 2 steps behind me like a sad puppy. It was so cute and sweet and I rubbed him for about 20 minutes. I just don't understand if he is so scared he thinks he has to follow me like I'm the herd leader or something, or if he just wants attention and he feels more comfortable in the field, cuz he still wants nothing to do with me inside... Any ideas or someone who experienced something like this? Thanks!

Reno Bay 07-19-2012 06:11 PM

If he's "best buds" with your horse and has constantly seen you with her, he may have made the connection that you're not hurting her, so you probably won't hurt him.

Randella 07-19-2012 06:31 PM

He's letting your mare lead by example. If he's besties with her, he'll probably relax when he's around you from now on because she's relaxed around you.

Look at it this way, you've got another horsey friend now :)

Country Boy 07-20-2012 01:29 PM

I agree with the post above.

Saranda 07-20-2012 01:43 PM

That's quite common to happen. I even had a shy horse befriend me when he noticed that his owner is friendly towards me, and after that the horses best buddy started following me around, too.

tinyliny 07-20-2012 02:10 PM

If he does this when you are out there giving your mare attention, it could be that he is anxious that you are going to take her away from him. So, he stays close to you, so if you take her, you will take him too.

Country Woman 07-20-2012 02:49 PM

Welcome to the forum Shelby
nice to meet you

PaintHorseMares 07-20-2012 04:07 PM

When less confident/spooky/low pecking order horses learn to trust someone, they will latch on to them, follow them around, and do almost anything for them. Our youngest, bottom of the herd mare is like this.
Posted via Mobile Device