The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   gaited saddles (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/gaited-saddles-131581/)

marcy 07-19-2012 10:03 PM

gaited saddles

I have a 3 yr old MFT gelding. I was told a gaited saddle would be better for him to gait well. What is the best gaited saddle built for a woman that is light weight and comfortable and well balanced. I am flexible in the style.

jufamarie 07-20-2012 03:51 PM

It's not a "gaited saddled" that you need but a saddle that fits your particular horses conformation. Any one horse's conformation in any gaited breed whether it be MFT or TW can be so very different form another one. Make sure your saddle gives shoulder clearance for movement, wither clearance, short enough that it doesn't interfere with the hip and the tree fits the whole length of the saddle without bridging or causing pressure points. When all these issues are addressed you are closer to having the right saddle...call it whatever style or type you want. Of course then you get into the part of it fitting you and leg placement etc,,, happy hunting.

marcy 07-20-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jufamarie (Post 1607509)
It's not a "gaited saddled" that you need but a saddle that fits your particular horses conformation. Any one horse's conformation in any gaited breed whether it be MFT or TW can be so very different form another one. Make sure your saddle gives shoulder clearance for movement, wither clearance, short enough that it doesn't interfere with the hip and the tree fits the whole length of the saddle without bridging or causing pressure points. When all these issues are addressed you are closer to having the right saddle...call it whatever style or type you want. Of course then you get into the part of it fitting you and leg placement etc,,, happy hunting.

Your advise will be very helpful to me. Thank you.

Joe4d 07-21-2012 11:01 AM

Alot of female riders, especially the older and a bit heavier ones swear by Dixieland saddles on Tenn Walking horses.

churumbeque 07-21-2012 11:36 AM

I really like Steele saddles but they seem a bit heavy but 28 pds I think.

marcy 07-21-2012 12:03 PM

Thanks I was looking at those saddles. I am 52 and weigh 138 lbs. So that might work.

marcy 07-21-2012 12:04 PM

Haven't hear of that brand. Will check them out. Thanks

jufamarie 07-21-2012 03:15 PM

A saddle that a lot of gaited riders swear by is Crest Ridge Saddlery Home. Deb from there is good to work with I hear and they have you do some tracings to get a tree to work for your horse. They have a lot of styles of saddles and do have nice workmanship

Jacksmama 07-21-2012 03:33 PM

Don't fall for the "gaited saddle" fad, as mentioned above just find a saddle that fits your particular horse. I tried about 15 saddles before I bought one, I have a RMH/gaited Morgan cross. Very short backed and square, I finally took him to a saddle fitter and got a Dakota Barrel Saddle with full QH bars. Fits beautifully and he moves out great in it!
Posted via Mobile Device

sterling95 07-23-2012 12:22 AM

You might want to check out hillviewfarms.com and order the "catabook" (catalog).
She has her own saddle system. Sounds a little different but this lady has done some serious riding and horse camping with her whole family so I give her points for that. Also she has some very useful information and unusual tack and accessories that you can't find anywhere else.
When I order from her she answers from the back of her horse on her cell phone and always gets the order right. Amazing!