The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Fly Control Supplements (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/fly-control-supplements-131593/)

HunterJumper3D 07-19-2012 10:20 PM

Fly Control Supplements

Do they work? How do they work? Anybody ever used them? Pros and cons?

robohog 07-19-2012 10:26 PM

My wife buys this suppliment from smartpak called smartfly or stupid fly idk! you just feed your horse this stuff and the flys leave him alone. Wife swears by the stuff and she says black or dark horses have the worst time with flys!

HippieCowgirl 07-19-2012 11:13 PM

I have used SimpliFly and it had worked quite well. I have recently switched my herd to a shot of white vinegar mixed with their feed twice a day and it gave me equal to or better results. Plus it doesn't hurt that vinegar is $2 the supplement is about $10.

kntry 07-23-2012 08:14 PM

Does the vinegar work for horse flies, too? Do you use a regular shot glass size of vinegar?

I've been using Fly Predators for about 4 months and they are working great on the biting horse flies but do nothing for the horse flies.

HippieCowgirl 07-23-2012 09:07 PM

It depends on the horses size. The horses (15hh) get 1/2 to 2/3 of a shot glass and my drafty gets a full shot. It does work with the horse flies and fly predators help out also!
One suggestion is start out small with the vinegar. If you just pour in the full amount they might hate the taste and refuse to eat it,but if you ease the amount in then they get use to the taste. Also don't expect results right away. It took my guys being on the full amount for about a full week to actually seeing something.

kntry 07-23-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HippieCowgirl (Post 1611853)
It depends on the horses size. The horses (15hh) get 1/2 to 2/3 of a shot glass and my drafty gets a full shot. It does work with the horse flies and fly predators help out also!
One suggestion is start out small with the vinegar. If you just pour in the full amount they might hate the taste and refuse to eat it,but if you ease the amount in then they get use to the taste. Also don't expect results right away. It took my guys being on the full amount for about a full week to actually seeing something.

Does this keep the big horse flies off, too?

NevCowgirl 07-23-2012 09:43 PM

Good question.. I used fly spray on my mare and she got hives. I am not sure if it was for sure from the fly spray or not but it would be good to know a brand that is not to harsh on the horse I would like to try it on her.

HippieCowgirl 07-23-2012 09:43 PM

Yes it does.

gypsygirl 07-23-2012 09:59 PM

i use smartbugg off, i think it works but i dont really know...my mare is a PICKY eater and she will eat this right up, which is a plus. we also use fly predators, which do cut down on the flies.

HippieCowgirl 07-23-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NevCowgirl (Post 1611894)
Good question.. I used fly spray on my mare and she got hives. I am not sure if it was for sure from the fly spray or not but it would be good to know a brand that is not to harsh on the horse I would like to try it on her.

I have one mare who is a fly magnet and also broke out in hives when I used fly spay. The vinegar helped, but I also put a homemade fly spay on her that didn't give her a reaction. It is made of Avon Skin So Soft bath oil, vinegar, and water.