The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Does being a Life time Nominated Stallion mean jack? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/does-being-life-time-nominated-stallion-13162/)

ScoutRacer 08-11-2008 09:44 PM

Does being a Life time Nominated Stallion mean jack?

Just curious... Fames Sonata Scouts Sire is a Life Time Nominated Stallion for American Show Horses. I know a couple people have complained about his breeding. Is this actually an important nomination or can poorly bred horses be nominated?

I guess I'm trying to figure out of this nomination means a ****.

Here is the site: http://www.nshregistry.org/StalNom2.asp?ID=38

Fames Sonata is 7 down from the top.

Also Scouts grand-sire is 2007 NSHR Lifetime Nominated Sire Rankings (Top 50 Sires) #7 on the List.

Here is the site: http://www.nshregistry.org/StaticPageDisp.asp?ID=39

I also found that Scouts Sire was also Lifetime Nominated Sire but he was #1,398

Here is the site: http://www.nshregistry.org/StalNom2.asp?ID=38

I also found that Scouts Grand Grand Sire was also Lifetime Nominated Stallion but he was #976

Here is the site: http://www.nshregistry.org/StalNom2.asp?ID=35

Ok I'll be honest I could keep naming sire's in Scouts bloodline that were nominated for this award.... but for the sake of the length of the post I'll stop.

again I don't know if this is worth anything... I'm just trying to figure out if my horse is well bred.

Any help would be great. I have Scouts bloodlines posted on another post... If your interested in helping and can't find them ask me to repost them.

LadyDreamer 08-11-2008 10:42 PM

Read through the NSH Breed Rules on the website.

Quote:

I. Stallion Nomination

A. Lifetime Nomination

Effective January 1, 1997, registered National Show Horse stallions are not required to be Lifetime Nominated. Stallions registered with one of the following breed registries are eligible for Lifetime Nomination:

ARABIAN - Arabian Horse Association, 10805 East Bethany Drive, Aurora, CO 80114 or Canadian Arabian Horse Registry, Box 101, Bowden, Alberta Canada T0M 0K0 or any Arabian horse registry recognized by the World Arabian Horse Association (WAHO), North Farm, 2 Trenchard Road, Stanton Fitzwarren Swindon, Wiltshire SN6 7RZ United Kingdom.

AMERICAN SADDLEBRED - American Saddlebred Horse Association, Inc., 4093 Iron Works Pike, Lexington, KY 40511 or American Saddlebred Horse Association of Canada, Box 337, Elmira, Ontario Canada N3B 2Z7.

1. The stallion in question must be registered in the name of the person applying for the Lifetime Nomination or the request for Lifetime Nomination must be accompanied by written authorization of the recorded owner.

2. Horses sired by Lifetime Nominated stallions are eligible for registration at various fees depending on when the horse is registered (see Fee Schedule, Section XVI).

3. Arabian and Saddlebred stallions must have blood type/DNA information on file with the NSHR within sixty (60) days of Lifetime Nomination. National Show Horse stallions must have blood type/DNA information on file prior to registration of offspring. Horses born after 1-1-89 by Lifetime Nominated sires whose blood type/DNA information is not on file may be denied registration. Each stallion's blood type/DNA will be the confidential property of the NSHR for use in any disputes arising from questions of parentage and in routine administration of Transported Semen and Embryo/Oocyte Transfer procedures.

4. The following information and cash, check, money order or VISA, MasterCard or American Express for the Lifetime Nomination fee (see Section C for fees) must accompany a request for Lifetime Nomination:

a. Copy of stallion's registration papers;

b. Completed Agreement of Lifetime Stallion Nomination;

c. Completed Promissory Note if using Amortization Schedule;

d. Pedigree.

5. Acceptance of the stallion is subject to the approval of the NSHR Board of Directors.

B. Stallions Residing outside North America

Effective November 1, 2002, any Arabian or Saddlebred stallion residing outside North America may become a Lifetime Nominated sire (see Fee Schedule, Section XVI).

C. Lifetime Nomination Fees

1. The current Lifetime Nomination fee is $3,000.

2. The fee is payable according to one of the following terms:

a. Payment in full at time of application;

b. $1,000 (in U.S. funds) is due upon receipt by the Registry of the Agreement of Lifetime Stallion Nomination with the remaining balance payable in equal semi-annual installments of $1,000 each, commencing on the date which is twelve months from the date of receipt by the Registry of the Agreement of Lifetime Stallion Nomination. Interest on any outstanding balance shall accrue thereon at the rate of 5% per annum, and be due and payable on each of the principal installment due dates.

3. In the event of a sale, exchange or other transfer of ownership of a Lifetime Nominated sire prior to payment in full of the Lifetime Nomination fee, the seller shall give the NSHR 15 days written notice of the sale, exchange or other transfer of ownership of the stallion. Upon receipt of such notice and at the sole and absolute discretion of the NSHR, the NSHR may either: (a) determine that all amounts owed the NSHR shall become immediately due and payable as of the date of the sale or other transfer of ownership, without further notice or demand, or (b) the Agreement of Lifetime Stallion Nomination and all rights and obligations of the owner may be assigned and assumed by the purchaser upon satisfactory demonstration by the purchaser of financial responsibility and the furnishing of such other information as the NSHR may deem appropriate. Failure to give written notice in accordance with the provisions hereunder shall constitute a default by the owner (seller) of the Agreement of Lifetime Stallion Nomination.

4. A $50 transfer fee is due upon transfer of a Lifetime Nominated Stallion.

D. Lifetime Nomination Certificate

1. If Lifetime Nomination fee is paid in full at time of application and all required documents have been submitted, the certificate will be issued at once.

2. If the nominee elects to utilize the terms (see C.2), then the certificate will be issued upon payment in full and then only if final payment is made by due date as provided in the promissory note.

E. Replacement of Lifetime Nominated Stallion

The stallion owner may elect to replace, at any time and for any reason, a Lifetime Nominated stallion with another eligible stallion which he/she owns.

1. Only one replacement of original Lifetime Stallion Nomination is allowed. In order to replace a stallion, the owner must make all Lifetime Nomination payments for the original stallion under the terms of the Agreement of Lifetime Stallion Nomination and promissory note.

2. 0-36 months after date of Lifetime Nomination, replacement at no additional charge. 37 months and beyond, replacement upon payment of an additional $1,000 fee.

3. The stallion owner has an unlimited period of time to name a replacement stallion.

4. In the event of death, castration, or infertility of a Lifetime Nominated Stallion, the NSHR must be notified in writing, and a final stallion report must be filed.

F. Removal of Lifetime Nominated Stallion

1. If any installment of a stallion's Lifetime Nomination fee is not paid on or before the date it is due, according to the promissory note, then that stallion may, at the discretion of the NSHR, be removed from the Lifetime Nominated Sire Program.

a. Any breeding to that stallion, resulting in eligible horses out of mares not owned by the stallion owner, will be honored by the NSHR as long as the breeding contract was initiated and signed prior to the announced removal of the stallion.

b. A stallion removed for non payment of fees or for delinquent fees may be reinstated. The Lifetime Nomination fee payments applicable at the time of reinstatement must be brought current and paid in full and a penalty fee of $100 must be paid.

c. In no case will any portion of Lifetime Nomination fees paid be refunded.

2. A stallion may be removed at any time if the stallion's Lifetime Nomination is based on statements or documents which prove to be false.

G. Individual Progeny Nomination

1. Individual Progeny Nominated sires may not participate in the National Show Horse Registry sponsored Stallion Row Jackpot. Individual Progeny Nominated sires may not advertise in the Registry's publication nor on the Registry's web site.

2. Horses sired by Individual Progeny Nominated sires may be registered with the NSHR at double the registration fee charged for horses sired by Lifetime Nominated sires (see Fee Schedule, Section XVI).

3. Stallions registered with one of the following breed registries may produce eligible National Show Horses as Individual Progeny Nominated sires:

ARABIAN - Arabian Horse Association, 10805 East Bethany Drive, Aurora, CO 80114 or Canadian Arabian Horse Registry, Box 101, Bowden, Alberta Canada T0M 0K0 or any Arabian horse registry recognized by the World Arabian Horse Association (WAHO), North Farm, 2 Trenchard Road, Stanton Fitzwarren Swindon, Wiltshire SN6 7RZ United Kingdom.

AMERICAN SADDLEBRED - American Saddlebred Horse Association, Inc., 4093 Iron Works Pike, Lexington, KY 40511 or American Saddlebred Horse Association of Canada, Box 337, Elmira, Ontario Canada N3B 2Z7.

4. Individual Progeny Nominated sire owners must sign the stallion owner section of the Individual Progeny Nominated Registration Application.

5. Arabian and Saddlebred Individual Progeny Nominated Stallions must have blood type/DNA information on file with the NSHR prior to registration of offspring. Blood type/DNA must also be on file for the dam and offspring. Each stallion's and mare's blood type/DNA will be the confidential property of the NSHR for use in any disputes arising from questions of parentage and in routine administration of Transported Semen and Embryo/Oocyte Transfer procedures.

6. A copy of the dam's and Individual Progeny Nominated Stallion's Arabian or Saddlebred registration papers must accompany the application for registration.

H. Stallion Reports

A Stallion Report, on a form obtained from the NSHR, must be submitted for each Lifetime Nominated Stallion after each breeding season whether or not the stallion bred any mares eligible to produce National Show Horse foals. Registered National Show Horse stallions must file a stallion report if eligible mares were bred. Stallion Reports are due in the NSHR office no later than January 31st of the year immediately following the breeding season being reported. Failure to provide a stallion report may result in:

1. Ineligibility of all foals by that stallion for that season;

2. A $50 penalty; and

3. Removal of the stallion from the NSHR with no refund of any fees paid.
I do not believe it has anything to do with a prize program(such as the Grand National Nomination that Saddlebreds have) or anything, just that they are known to the NSHR, and are able to be used to produce NSHs.

Rankings are all about how well their registered foals do in the show ring. Some sire's get are known for doing well in x divisions, as breeding stock, etc.

Some can be nominated and not do anything. Nominating means they are in the books. Our old stallion is nominated and will probably never see another arab in his life to produce a NSH. I could nominate our other stallion, or my yearling stallion(if I were to keep him a stud, which I am not going to do) or any other stallion that I had, so long as it is of appropriate breed and registry, regardless of pedigree.

"Poorly Bred" is a matter of opinion, based often on experience and fact, but is ultimately decided by the one breeding.

I would go to www.Trot.org (saddlebred board) and post these questions in their special "Arab/NSH" section on their forums, you might get a better respons from folks who would know more and may have experience in the breed.