The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Asking to excercise someone elses horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/asking-excercise-someone-elses-horse-131648/)

hberrie 07-20-2012 10:21 AM

Asking to excercise someone elses horse

There is a man at my barn who just bought a TWH and seems to be having some trouble with him. The guy is a truck driver and is only home a bout 4 times a month. He also seems to be very green with horses. Very nice person and I feel bad because he seems discouraged with his new horse. My daughter and I were think about offering to help excercise and spend time with his horse since he can't be there that often. Would this be appropriate or rude? We are not highly experienced but I thought that just being ridden and lunged more often would help so that when this guy comes home he won't have to retrain his horse every time. If I could only work with my horse 4 times a month I could not imagine what a handful he would be.

Speed Racer 07-20-2012 10:23 AM

That's very generous of you, but what happens if either of you gets hurt? The owner would be responsible, and he probably doesn't have the kind of money to pay all your medical bills.

kitten_Val 07-20-2012 10:26 AM

I did it in barn I used to go for trail riding: I worked with some other people horses. If you know how to ride (and by that I don't mean you have to be a super rider :-) ) and what are you doing I don't find it to be rude to offer the help. The worst case scenario he'll say "no, thanks". :wink:

kitten_Val 07-20-2012 10:27 AM

SR posted as I was typing... And actually she brought up a good point. I never had an issue with it personally (as I would never blame the owner), but if you have a minor that can be a different story.

hberrie 07-20-2012 10:29 AM

I never thought about that because I always assumed that by riding any horse you are taking the responsibility upon yourself. What about people who lease or take lessons. Would the owner or rider be responsible? I hate liability issues because if you take part in risky activities then it should be no ones fault but your own, but I guess the world doesn't work that way anymore :)

JustDressageIt 07-20-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 1607157)
SR posted as I was typing... And actually she brought up a good point. I never had an issue with it personally (as I would never blame the owner), but if you have a minor that can be a different story.

Would your Estate blame the owner, though? Or if you got damaged badly enough to be deemed unsound to make decisions?
Worst case scenario, of course, but still something to consider.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 07-20-2012 10:32 AM

I agree with you HB, but so many people are crazy litigious these days it's ridiculous. :?

Whatever happened to personal responsibility, and taking the blame or credit for your own actions?

I think it's a very nice thing to offer, but I'd get everything in writing. That's to cover both your and the owner's butt, because what if something happens to the horse while you're riding it? YOU may not be a litigious creep, but the owner very well could be.

kait18 07-20-2012 10:32 AM

no harm in asking. and since you are the one offering i would not make him liablie for any injuries that occur while you work with the horse. it might sound silly but as sr said he might not have the extra cash to pay for those expenses which is probably why he doesnt have a trainer work with him while he is not around...
and if he agrees and you both are on the same terms getting something in writing stating what your limitations are like riding on the farm or if you cant take him to trail or events or what you can and cant do etc... and that any injuries to horse is for owner and all injuries to you are on you...so you both have a clear guideline to follow and kinda know what to expect..

it is very nice you want to help this gentlemen. :)

edit : **** as i was writing everyone else chimed in :p

kitten_Val 07-20-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 1607164)
Would your Estate blame the owner, though?

I don't think my estate would blame the owner if you are on someone's else property. HOWEVER the BO's insurance can come into account. I'm not sure about the rules in Maryland. The trainer riding my horses at the moment (since I can't ride) added the property to her insurance, which makes sense (and part of the reason I'm afraid to deal with someone without one).

And no, my parents (who would take care of me something would of happen) would not blame the owner of the horse either if I couldn't make the decisions.

kitten_Val 07-20-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1607165)
I think it's a very nice thing to offer, but I'd get everything in writing. That's to cover both your and the owner's butt, because what if something happens to the horse while you're riding it? YOU may not be a litigious creep, but the owner very well could be.

I agree with this, because you never know, and at least some protection.