The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Stallion to Gelding attitude change? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/stallion-gelding-attitude-change-13166/)

horse_luver4e 08-11-2008 10:51 PM

Stallion to Gelding attitude change?

Hey my friend has this horse she has had for about 4 1/2 years now. His name is Cody and he is a 7 year old registerd Appaloosa. He used to be a stallion and she bred him to local mares. She rode him in eventing and barrels and at times they would hit the trails with me and Janie. He was so good at everything, little kids could ride him. He could jump 4' 6" and he competed at I think 3 and 4 foot jumps, (I'll have to ask her). But he would love to run in his pasture like Janie does and he did tricks. She would allways show me his bow.(which I'm jelous becuase I haven't taught Janie that yet! lol). But anyway she gelded him about six months ago and he has compleatly changed. He won't run in his pasture anymore, he won't jump, he can't do barrels anymore becuase he won't go as fast. And he won't do tricks like he used to he kind of half-a#!es his bow. He's not the same horse anymore. She allways keeps saying that it's like he just turned 40 and he's a cripple. She says he's so boring to ride becuase it's so hard to get him to do anything and she can't compete exept in 4-H becuase he won't jump for her. Is there anyway we can get 'Cody' back and throw away this 40 yr old? :?

Solon 08-11-2008 10:56 PM

Hormones change in horses after they are gelded. She knew to expect some changes right?

horse_luver4e 08-11-2008 11:11 PM

I guess. Yeah her dad made her geld him for some reason. She wants to sell him now becuase he won't do anything he used to.

Solon 08-11-2008 11:13 PM

That's too bad.

Hopefully she will go to a better home.

girl_on_black_pony 08-12-2008 12:35 AM

Well, most horses do change after their gelded. But I wouldnt give up on him. Do some lunging and groundwork

Solon 08-12-2008 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solon
That's too bad.

Hopefully she will go to a better home.

That should have said, hopefully he will go to a better home.

xkatex 08-14-2008 03:55 PM

Try hormones. We had a racehorse who was bought as a colt. We have a farm filled with mares and only 3 pastures. We had to geld him. He lost his "edge" in the race so the vet perscribed us hormones. We were suppose to give him 1cc and we end up giving him only half that and there is a change. He doesnt act studish but he does have more of an edge to him. Have to talk to her vet about some ideas that may help.

farmpony84 08-14-2008 05:06 PM

I thought you had to be 18 or over to show a stallion?

AKPaintLover 08-14-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84
I thought you had to be 18 or over to show a stallion?

That thought crossed my mind as well.

Parker Horse Ranch 08-14-2008 05:45 PM

At the show that I go to said that I had to be 18 or older to enter a stallion.