The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-131697/)

jaymej 07-20-2012 06:57 PM

Help!

1 Attachment(s)
i have a horse that i recently aquired from a gal that really did a number on this horses injury. the injury started out as a barbed wire fence injury and turned into a caustic burn because she overused wonder dust and meat tenderizer. it has been xrayed and there is no damage to tge bone but it has a little spot in the middle that just doesnt want to heal and there is a thick keratin growth on the top of the skin that just keeps growing. i am treating it with vitamin e to softer and hydrate. has anyone ever had an injury like this?

gunslinger 07-20-2012 07:01 PM

No, but I think I'd try some antibiotic ointment.

That said, if it isn't healing then I'd take the poor thing to a vet.

Tianimalz 07-20-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

she overused wonder dust and meat tenderizer.
... Meat tenderizer? Someone enlighten me please, I've never heard of meat tenderizer being used on a wound. :?

Oldhorselady 07-20-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tianimalz (Post 1607759)
... Meat tenderizer? Someone enlighten me please, I've never heard of meat tenderizer being used on a wound. :?

Me too....what is with meat tenderizer?

jaymej 07-20-2012 07:28 PM

the meat tenderizer was also new to me and my vet has seen him. the girl i got him from was told by someone that meat tenderizer works on proudflesh.

rascalboy 07-21-2012 11:56 AM

Yep, people on here occassionally suggest meat tenderizer. I guess it works in the correct amount. If you toss too much on, though, I suppose it does bad things.
I'd think about wrapping the area and covering it in a thick layer of anti-biotic ointment or something, with plastic wrap over it for the night.

jaymej 07-21-2012 02:21 PM

thanks for the input. ill try the wrap.

SaddleStrings 07-21-2012 02:30 PM

People use meat tenderizer to help stop and prevent proud flesh. With wonder dust you to just make sure it is applied to the affected area, otherwise it damages the healthy tissue. Same with the tenderizer.

Poor girl! Vitamin E and an antibiotic sound like a good treatment, but it sounds like you have had a vet to x rays and such? Did the vet recommend treating it with the vitamin E, or any other treatments?

waresbear 07-21-2012 02:55 PM

Horses heal from the inside out, the treatment his previous owner used caused the wound to heal over top and locked the infection inside. You need a vet to open up the wound and treat the infection and let it drain. Strange that wasn't recommended by the vet who did the exam & X-rays.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chevaux 07-21-2012 03:47 PM

I'm inclined to agree with Waresbear. Also, I think the healing process in general may screwed up as tissue has been altered by the "treatments" already performed on the poor guy and may not be regenerating as nature designed. I see a vet trip in that horses's future.