The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Show This Weekend - Nervous! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/show-weekend-nervous-131716/)

iamanequestrian 07-20-2012 11:08 PM

Show This Weekend - Nervous!

Hello, well I have a show this weekend and I am sort of nervous! I have been to three shows so far in my life. The first show I simply entered gaming classes. The second show I entered English flat classes. The third show I entered leadline classes, gaming classes, and judged western classes. This will be my fourth show ever. I am entering mine and my horses first jumping classes. We are trying beginner 2 foot fences in equitation and hunter for fun and then entering beginner equitation and hunter flat classes. We are also doing three leadline classes again. Though I have been jumping in lessons for about 6 months now, this is my first time in a show. I don't know how my horse will act! She was very off today, so tommarow I am giving her a linament bath. I want to make sure she feels good before we jump a single fence. I have several questions I would like you guys to answer for me.

1.) I know how to tie my stirrups thanks to countercanter! Thank you so much!

2.) In our leadline class where do I hook the leadrope to? I don't have a nice leather halter (until my birthday!) only a Hamilton neon pink one. Could I hook it to the bit? I heard that was a bad thing though.

3.) In the leadline class - Who should wear the hairnet?! I only have one hairnet right now. The child I will be leading in the ring has shorter hair than I do, so I don't know if it will stay could. Who should wear it?

4.) Courtesy Circle - What are the keys to it? I know what it is, but I am overwhelmed because I have never done it before (I think). Please explain it.

5.) If my horse does end up refusing or something and I stay in the saddle. What do I do? Exit the ring of circle and finish the course. It is a beginner/novice class.

6.) Is it hard to remember the course. What are some good ways to help me learn it quickly. My class is early in the morning and I am afraid I might go in the ring and get 'lost'.

7.) I seem to feel okay about my equitation right now. I have been working hard in my lessons. As for my horse, in a flat equitation class - should I be fooling around with her head, in lessons we have been working on her lowering her head a doing a more floaty trot. She has come a long way with it, but I still have to remind her often when working. Should I seesaw the reins at all in the show ring? Her head and ears may fly up if I don't she is still a little green in the new English tack. In the hunter class - same thing - Do I seesaw the reins in the show ring to regain her head? I know that she isn't meant to be a great horse for a hunter class, but we are just trying it out. It can't hurt to have some memories and expiriences.

8.) Equitation at canter - Just some things you might have for me to keep in mind while in the ring.

I think that is about all. If I have any more I will comment on this thread. Thank you for reading my novel! Sorry! I get worried very easily, but I am comfortable with my horse and in the saddle. She isn't a bad horse, this is just all new to both of us. We sometimes jump small jumps in the darkness to gain trust in eachother. It has helped us. It doesn't matter what happens in the ring, it is the expirience and memory of it. I love her so much. Thank you everyone! :)

I do a lot with horses - training and giving beginners lessons. Please no rude comments. I am just asking this to see what somebody who has the extra expirience in these classes because I can take advice. I can handle the horses and everything. We are just entering a new side of equestrianism. Thanks again.

Skyseternalangel 07-22-2012 05:23 AM

I don't understand your first question... tie your stirrups because of counter canter?

Either way good luck!

Maple 07-22-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamanequestrian (Post 1608080)

2.) In our leadline class where do I hook the leadrope to? I don't have a nice leather halter (until my birthday!) only a Hamilton neon pink one. Could I hook it to the bit? I heard that was a bad thing though.

3.) In the leadline class - Who should wear the hairnet?! I only have one hairnet right now. The child I will be leading in the ring has shorter hair than I do, so I don't know if it will stay could. Who should wear it?

First off... best of luck. I only started going to lead rein shows a few weeks ago and don't have a showing background so I can relate to the nerves.

Is your leadline class just a showing class or is this the one where the child is riding? I attach the lead to the back of the noseband. I'm not sure of the ins-and-outs of western, but I have been told that I can't attach it to the bit.

My little girl has a pony tail with a ribbon and no hairnet. I don't wear a hairnet either and just pull my hair back into a bun. In the english classes I have seen, the kids where pigtals, plaits, scrunchies ribbons. We are going for the cute effect. If you go to the horse photos forum you will see a recent photograph of how the pony and her were turned out.

I have gone to the show expecting the worst. Our goal on the first day was no existant. We went to get some experience and see how Simba would react. The last show our goal was to not be last :lol: The lower you set the bar for yourself, the less you will feel pressure. We have a show in a month, and I know it is competitive, so we are chalking it up to being a day out. The kids all get ribbons and we're not aiming to win - if we do well that's a bonus, if not so be it.