The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   cat doesn't know how to eat o.o (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/cat-doesnt-know-how-eat-o-131738/)

Janna 07-21-2012 10:03 AM

cat doesn't know how to eat o.o

I have a kitten that I noticed was getting very thin since she was weaned. I started watching her and found out she just hasn't been eating. I thought maybe she didn't like the food, so I went and bought a different kind. Nope.
So I got wet food, nope. I decided to put it in a syringe.. Went crazy eating it. couldn't get it fast enough. No matter what she won't eat anything by herself. Even the same food she scarfed from the syringe. She wasn't hard weaned or anything... The momma did it herself. She just like... Doesn't understand how to eat. Can't get her to do it. She has been gaining some weight since I've been feeding her. I don't know why she can't eat by herself. It's like she's ******ed. If cats can be.
Anyone had this happen?

cakemom 07-21-2012 11:25 AM

Check her pallet and see if it has issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

Janna 07-21-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakemom (Post 1608417)
Check her pallet and see if it has issues.
Posted via Mobile Device

Will do

Janna 07-21-2012 11:35 AM

Looks totally normal..

Ray MacDonald 07-21-2012 11:44 AM

Maybe kitten just isnt mentally ready to be weaned? How long have you been feeding her by hand?

Janna 07-21-2012 12:17 PM

The momma weaned her herself. she stayed nursing for a I
Long time. I believe she's about 4 months old. The rest are totally happy and independent. she definitely wasn't weaned too soon. Just as momma started saying no, she started losing weight. Momma is dried up so she gets nothing from her. She bites the heck out of the syringe, chows down on that food. I've only been feeding her like this for a few days, but been trying to get her to eat on her own too. with the same food she loves..... She looks at it.. Smells it, licks at it.. Very interested but she just acts confused.

Kayella 07-21-2012 12:43 PM

Have it out in the plate/bowl, and set her next to it . Get some on your finger and wipe it on her mouth to get her interested. Then take her head and push it into the food. Not completely, just to where she gets some on her nose. Try doing this a couple times of showing her where the food is. It's like dipping turkeys'/chickens' beaks into their feed and water to show them where it is.
Posted via Mobile Device

Janna 07-21-2012 01:01 PM

I've done that...
but I know it's not cause she's expecting me to feed her because id never done it before this and she started getting very skinny. I'm just lost.

Speed Racer 07-21-2012 01:30 PM

Sounds like a neurological issue to me. Unless you're willing to hand feed her the rest of her life, I'd be getting a diagnosis and long term prognosis from a vet.

redpony 07-21-2012 01:36 PM

Just had a kitten do this to me a few weeks ago. Have you tried milk in a bowl? My kitty caught on to that pretty quickly, with a few dunks of the nose in the milk. He would only drink milk for about 2 weeks but he is now eating wet food and regaining his weight. I gave him whole milk and had no problems. In the past I've used KMR for younger babies. I suggest feeding him alone, as he may be intimidated by the others.