The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I really want to rescue... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-really-want-rescue-131763/)

DoubleS 07-21-2012 02:20 PM

I really want to rescue...

I've been really wanting to get a project pony for my last few years of 4H, and I've been considering rescue. I would definitely like one who's been handled; I don't think I'm ready for an untouched horse yet. (I have helped my trainer with lots of greenies and I'm not new to stuff like that.)
Probably at least 3 years old, but not too old to be easily trained to ride.
I'd probably train it to do just general riding, and take it on trails. (probably using some CA methods, and getting some help from my trainer and parents)
I just feel like it would be a nice thing to do instead of buying a horse from a breeder... What are things to look for in a rescue horse? Do any of you have rescued horses/ponies?

AlexS 07-21-2012 02:23 PM

There are lots of good rescues, and a whole bunch who do not have a good reputation. If there is one close to you spend some time researching it.

With most rescues you cannot resell the horse and are forced to return it to the rescue, for free. That's a deal breaker for me, but if you are ok with that - then go for it.

Country Woman 07-21-2012 02:24 PM

good luck with your project

DoubleS 07-21-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexS (Post 1608644)
There are lots of good rescues, and a whole bunch who do not have a good reputation. If there is one close to you spend some time researching it.

With most rescues you cannot resell the horse and are forced to return it to the rescue, for free. That's a deal breaker for me, but if you are ok with that - then go for it.

Wait, so you can't resell rescues? Because I was planning on getting it trained well, and then selling for college $$... :? Am I misunderstanding this?

Faceman 07-21-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleS (Post 1608760)
Wait, so you can't resell rescues? Because I was planning on getting it trained well, and then selling for college $$... :? Am I misunderstanding this?

What Alex is referring to is if you get one from a rescue shelter. If you get one from other sources, of course you can. With the hay shortage this year I suspect that there will be a lot of horses in dire straights this Fall...

stevenson 07-21-2012 04:38 PM

it depends on the rescue agency. You can go to an auction and 'rescue' a horse,yearling, weanling, that would otherwise go to slaughter. You might find some advertised in your area that are starved and the owner is trying to sell them. Contact the slaughter houses in Texas and see if you can get one from them, of course you will be paying slaughter price and shipping . But saving a life.

LadyDreamer 07-21-2012 04:40 PM

Hit up the stockyards. That is where the kill buyers go most frequently. You could look at the auction, or talk to a broker.
Posted via Mobile Device

AlexS 07-21-2012 04:41 PM

Faceman is correct, most horse rescues will not allow you to resell.
But you can take a horse out of a bad situation other ways.

But I am with you, I'd never put my time and effort into a horse that I could not resell. While my efforts might not be worth much, they are worth something.

Faceman 07-21-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexS (Post 1608773)
...most horse rescues will not allow you to resell.
But you can take a horse out of a bad situation other ways.

But I am with you, I'd never put my time and effort into a horse that I could not resell. While my efforts might not be worth much, they are worth something.

Yeah, I'm not sure I have ever understood the reasoning behind that policy. The whole purpose of "rescuing" is to ultimately place the animal in a better situation...that is exactly what happens when someone picks up a horse in a bad situation, gives it some groceries, TLC, and training, and sells it to a good home where it can be useful. If one is returned to the rescue, then it is back to where it started from. I'm sure there is some logic there somewhere, but I fail to see it...

JSMidnight 07-21-2012 04:55 PM

You can usually find a good young horse at a horse sale for cheap. A few years ago before hay prices shot up I went to a horse sale for fun and saw a heavily pregnant registered mare go for $75. If I was in a position to get another horse then I would of jumped on her. A lot of people can't afford a horse right now and they are going cheap. And most of the horses that are sold for cheap are just going to slaughter anyways so it would be a rescue in itself.