The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   When to call a seller? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/when-call-seller-131766/)

Jore 07-21-2012 03:41 PM

When to call a seller?

Okay, so after today.. I've decided not to buy Major, for a multitude of reasons, even though he did great. With that being said, I've been browsing many ads for Atlantic Canada, and found what sounds like the perfect horse. The location ended up being perfect as my dad goes there in a few days and he said I could come.. so I asked him if I could e-mail her, and he said sure so I did yesterday night. My problem is that I'm paranoid that the seller won't bother e-mailing me back.. so when should I expect a reply? And if after a certain period of time, should I try calling?

I also am sending her a video of me riding at the show today so she can have an idea of how I ride.

Jore 07-21-2012 04:46 PM

Also, in my newer e-mail, I included more basic things because in my first e-mail, it was sent from one of those ad sites.. so it was a bit confusing to write everything out.

I also added a link to my barn's facebook group and gave the names of some clinicians I've rode under. :)

DancingArabian 07-21-2012 05:04 PM

If you have a specific time frame in mind, then call the seller. Not everyone checks their email on a daily basis or it could end up in spam and who knows when the seller would see it. Better to call. Ask some questions over the phone - you may find out something that flat out rules out the horse.

Cacowgirl 07-21-2012 05:15 PM

I would call & say you have an opportunity to travel to her area if you can set up an appointment on short notice. Then ask your quetions, such as should you bring your own tack, or will some be available? How much time can she set aside to show you the horse & if you can ride. Will horses' paperwork be available? First meeting type of stuff-good Luck.

Jore 07-21-2012 05:46 PM

Okay, I'll probably call tomorrow night if I haven't received a reply (although I'll probably end up calling anyways even if she does). The horse seems like a gorgeous mare (15.3hh dark bay TB with a star and snip) with a bright future.. so I'm excited about being able to go down and try her out, it's just the waiting for an answer and being worried that maybe I'm not worthy enough of her time.

Saskia 07-21-2012 10:29 PM

It's always best to call I think.

When advertising a horse I got a lot of emails and when they made appointments to come and see the horse they wouldn't show up. There would also just be a lot of back and forth with questions that could have been done so much quicker over the phone.

I think if you're serious about a horse the best thing to do is call up straight away.

I don't think in general its good to send videos of you riding to people (no offence) mostly because they're probably not that interested, especially if they haven't even replied. They probably get a lot of horse crazy kids responding (I always get those emails) and I think are more likely to just disregard it if you send a video and all info about your self. Most people just don't care, if they care they'll ask. They'll see you riding when you come out to see the horse. They'll ask all the questions they want when you come see the horse. No one wants an email from a stranger with everything about them.

Otherwise remember you're the one buying the horse - you're not trying to sell yourself as an owner! Keep the upper hand. So many sellers seem to try to twist it as if they're doing you a favour selling you their horse, and it makes the horse seem better than it is. You're the customer. You have all the power, don't just give that away by trying to convince the sellers you're a good owner.

Copperhead 07-21-2012 11:12 PM

Why are you worried about pleasing this person?

You are the buyer, you should be concerned over what they have to say that will please *you*

In my opinion, you're going way overboard to try and make yourself worthy of this horse. Thats not how buying/selling goes. Change your way of thinking before you visit this horse. You need to be skeptical and inwardly judgemental of the animal infront of you. They have to prove that she is what you want, not the other way around.

Stop sending emails with pictures of you riding, or videos. I've never had a buyer send me that stuff. I would ask them what discipline they rode, how experienced they were, and if they were comfrortable, they would come out and ride.

You need to approach a situation like this confidently, not needy.

CLaPorte432 07-21-2012 11:21 PM

893 Attachment(s)
CopperHead, very well said.

Jore 07-22-2012 10:09 AM

Good points.. I'll remember that for next time I contact a seller. I did find another potential horse, a 7y/o 16hh TB mare.. so once I see whether or not my dad would be willing to go see her, then I'll just call.

soileddove 07-24-2012 02:33 PM

When I'm looking at horses for sale, I almost always wind up having to ask for more photos of the horse to get a better idea of its conformation, so I typically email first, as most people will email photos (though some people text them)..

In that email, I ask a question or two and also give my phone number. I also ask for theirs (if its not listed), or ask about a convenient time to call (if it is listed), just so they know that I'm not a casual shopper and that I'm actually interested. Email is just the way I prefer to receive those additional photos.

The web can be awesome when buying or selling a horse, but its also easier to waste someone's time since they're never "real." When selling, I never set up anything exclusively over email, nor will I email back and forth a ton if someone does express interest. I tell them they can call me with additional questions.

Agree with the others that say there's no reason for you to prove yourself to them in the way you are.