The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Fitting CAIR saddle on downhill horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/fitting-cair-saddle-downhill-horse-131775/)

shanoona 07-21-2012 04:45 PM

Fitting CAIR saddle on downhill horse
 
My pony mare is a little bit downhil (i am not english native speaker. I mean she has her butt higher than her whithers). I have just bought a Wintec 500 VSD saddle for her. On CAIR official site, there is instruciton hat this saddle have to be fitted with the rider in, unfortunately i didnt have anyone with me. Even when I mounted, i could put all my hand under the pommel-it had a good whither clearance. I think it was quite balanced. We rode for a short trail, to try all walk, trot and canter. She wa moving very well, even though she had her mare days and she is usually very lazy in these days. She was even on the bit in trot, which she doesnt do very often, or it demands some work with her. She seemed relaxed to me. But I think the saddle rear part was lifting a little bit in posting in trot. Maybe a little bit narrower gullet would help? I measured her some time ago with the wintec measurer and she was blue-medium/wide. The gullet in the saddle is red - wide. But when i put the gullet on her back without the saddle, it was even with her whithers.

It seems to be that the center of the seat should be little bit more in the centre. (more backwards). What should I do with that?
http://s19.postimage.org/72v2d301u/IMAG0275.jpg
http://s19.postimage.org/yz9xuuneq/IMAG0277.jpg
http://s19.postimage.org/edv62y5tu/IMAG0276.jpg

poppy1356 07-23-2012 09:20 AM

Can't see pictures but from what I've read the CAIR system will bounce a bit, but is actually comfortable for the horse. So that might be what you are describing. It's why I went with flocked with my Wintec.

shanoona 07-23-2012 09:23 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...01598142_n.jpg

poppy1356 07-23-2012 09:49 AM

I would not move that saddle back any farther. It's hard to tell with the pad in the way but it should sit about 2-3 finger widths behind the shoulder. You do not want to have your weight to far back.

shanoona 07-23-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 1610909)
I would not move that saddle back any farther. It's hard to tell with the pad in the way but it should sit about 2-3 finger widths behind the shoulder. You do not want to have your weight to far back.

i am actually thinking to put it a little bit more forward. this was the first time in this saddle, we have to find out whats the best :)

verona1016 07-24-2012 05:05 PM

That fly mask is awesome :-)

minstrel 07-27-2012 08:19 AM

I see what you mean - the cantle does seem to sit very high, and the pommel low. Try putting a riser pad, or else just a folded piece of cloth under the front of the saddle to lift it, that might make it sit better. *Not a professional saddler*, but I have had to do that with downhill highland ponies before to lift the front of the saddle. That saddle definitely looks like it's going to be pushing your weight forward and out of balance - maybe try a medium-wide gullet just to see whether it sits better. Also, if you loosen your crupper one hole it might sit in a better place.

shanoona 07-27-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minstrel (Post 1617955)
I see what you mean - the cantle does seem to sit very high, and the pommel low. Try putting a riser pad, or else just a folded piece of cloth under the front of the saddle to lift it, that might make it sit better. *Not a professional saddler*, but I have had to do that with downhill highland ponies before to lift the front of the saddle. That saddle definitely looks like it's going to be pushing your weight forward and out of balance - maybe try a medium-wide gullet just to see whether it sits better. Also, if you loosen your crupper one hole it might sit in a better place.

yes, u think i will try some riser now. In a week my medium wide gullet should arrive. If i loosen the girth, i am afraid it wilk slide forward...
Posted via Mobile Device

bsms 07-27-2012 01:22 PM

The new gullet should help. My technique for saddle placement is to put it on the back with the cinch/girth barely holding it on, and then walk my horse thru a couple of figure 8s. That gives the saddle a chance to find where gravity, the horse's back & the horse's shoulders want it to be, and that is where I tighten it down.

Think of two spoons put together. If you have to tie them in place, your spoons don't match. So if that puts the saddle in an odd position - way far back or way forward - then I'd assume the saddle isn't acceptable for the horse.

May or may not be a good technique. Seems to work for me.

shanoona 07-27-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsms (Post 1618388)
The new gullet should help. My technique for saddle placement is to put it on the back with the cinch/girth barely holding it on, and then walk my horse thru a couple of figure 8s. That gives the saddle a chance to find where gravity, the horse's back & the horse's shoulders want it to be, and that is where I tighten it down.

Think of two spoons put together. If you have to tie them in place, your spoons don't match. So if that puts the saddle in an odd position - way far back or way forward - then I'd assume the saddle isn't acceptable for the horse.

May or may not be a good technique. Seems to work for me.

Well, the problem is, that she is very thin right behind her front legs, and then becomes her belly very fat, its not that visible in these pivs, its better on pics tken from her front side... So when I tighten the saddle, it goes to a place, where the pressure of girth is smaller-to forward... :(I use a crupper with all saddles.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0