The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Swollen leg leaking fluid, but not lame (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/swollen-leg-leaking-fluid-but-not-131783/)

mselizabeth 07-21-2012 06:20 PM

Swollen leg leaking fluid, but not lame
 
Roger has had this issue with his hind left leg for quite some time. It frequently gets stalked up (a couple times a month). Its never really warm, and he's hasn't been lame yet. It's weird, it seems as if his leg is filled with clear fluid. And when I squeeze his leg, it will seep out. Very clear, looks like water. No sore or open wound. This is only happens around his lower leg, on his left hind.

Yesterday I put on his fly boots. Nice and loose like always. Today I come and it's super tight, just on that leg. I take it off and there's that clear fluid everywhere.


What is it?

I gave him a cold hose and left the fly boot off for the night. I would love answers.
Posted via Mobile Device

InStyle 07-21-2012 08:18 PM

Vet?
Posted via Mobile Device

mselizabeth 07-21-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InStyle (Post 1609019)
Vet?
Posted via Mobile Device

It doesn't seem to bother him much. I'd rather not spend money I don't have on a vet call yet.

Palomine 07-22-2012 05:02 PM

I say horse has cellulitis, and that will take a vet to treat.

Like humans get basically, it enters through cut/scratch, and causes the swelling or "stocking up" and leg is tender to walk on, sometimes hot to touch, and will go down with exercise.

Without antibiotics? You won't fix this. Cellulitis in Horses | Arabian Horses, Stallions, Farms, Arabians, for sale - Arabian Horse Network, www.arabhorse.com

mselizabeth 07-22-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palomine (Post 1609956)
I say horse has cellulitis, and that will take a vet to treat.

Like humans get basically, it enters through cut/scratch, and causes the swelling or "stocking up" and leg is tender to walk on, sometimes hot to touch, and will go down with exercise.

Without antibiotics? You won't fix this. Cellulitis in Horses | Arabian Horses, Stallions, Farms, Arabians, for sale - Arabian Horse Network, www.arabhorse.com

He has not cut or stretch on his leg. Its not worm to the touch, and he's not lame.

As stated in the original post.

Celeste 07-22-2012 07:47 PM

If fluid is leaking out, he has to have an opening. That opening is creating a place for bacteria to ooze into his already swollen leg. I would get out a vet. I hope he is up on his tetanus shots.

xXSweetBreezeXx 07-22-2012 07:57 PM

I it is chronic, it could be a bone sequestrum. If he had a bump or something to his leg causing a small piece of bone to chip off but stay under the skin this could possibly explain it. The body try's to dispose of the bone chip by breaking it down and the now liquified bits of bone will need somewhere to escape and will seep out of the skin via a small hole created by pressure. Sometimes these take care of themselves, but sometimes the bone fragment is too large to liquify and the vet needs to remove it. Either way a vet should look at it to make sure it is clean, and decide if it needs to be removed, if it even is a sequestrum.
Best of luck!

mselizabeth 07-22-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celeste (Post 1610158)
If fluid is leaking out, he has to have an opening. That opening is creating a place for bacteria to ooze into his already swollen leg. I would get out a vet. I hope he is up on his tetanus shots.

He is up to date on everything.

It really is coming through his pores. I have searched high and low and cannot find an opening, but when I message his leg, it seeps out.

I read online about leaky lymphatic vessels. It is common amongst TB's. I am leaning towards that.

mselizabeth 07-22-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXSweetBreezeXx (Post 1610172)
I it is chronic, it could be a bone sequestrum. If he had a bump or something to his leg causing a small piece of bone to chip off but stay under the skin this could possibly explain it. The body try's to dispose of the bone chip by breaking it down and the now liquified bits of bone will need somewhere to escape and will seep out of the skin via a small hole created by pressure. Sometimes these take care of themselves, but sometimes the bone fragment is too large to liquify and the vet needs to remove it. Either way a vet should look at it to make sure it is clean, and decide if it needs to be removed, if it even is a sequestrum.
Best of luck!

It is not chronic. You can barely tell with the naked eye. But when you feel his leg, it leaks clear fluid. All over, not in any particular spot.

I would assume if it was a bone issue, he would be limp. Which he is not.

poppy1356 07-22-2012 08:43 PM

Honestly, if my horse had fluid oozing out of her pores my vet would have been called yesterday. That's just not normal. Money or not you need to call your vet.
Posted via Mobile Device


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0