The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   HagonNag update #2 (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/hagonnag-update-2-a-131792/)

HagonNag 07-21-2012 07:33 PM

HagonNag update #2

Sorry I've been absent a little, but my days are a blur of sleeping, being jabbed, tested, sleeping, ... those of you who have been hospitalized understand. I'll try to bring y'all up to date.

I'm still in the hospital. The wreck was last Sunday morning. IF my chest tube continues as it's been going it will be removed tomorrow. They took me off the IV fluids yesterday, although the IV is still in just in case. Today for the first day, there was no blood in the chest tube. Heart telemetry was removed yesterday. I'm still on oxygen and I need it. I'm supposed to walk to the end of the hall and back 3 times a day and I about collapse by the time I'm back. I can't talk without the oxygen, I can't make it to the bathroom without it. They keep telling me it's temporary, and I keep trying to believe them. ANYTHING exhausts me.
I'm stretching out the pain meds and (curiously to me) because most of the damage was done about shoulder height up...it doesn't hurt tremendously to breath. I guess the lower ribs move more and mine are still intact!

I'm having some problems reinflating the right lung...it's taking longer than expected. I think it might have something to do with the flailed ribs under my collar bone...my neck/collarbone area is still swollen and you can see it go up and down when I breath. At least I no longer hear washing machine sounds from it when I breathe! It was the oddest sound and sensation!

smrobs 07-21-2012 07:35 PM

Hag, it is wonderful to see you back and I am so glad that you are doing so well so soon after such a horrible accident. Rest assured, there are still plenty of jingles and prayers headed your way from Texas. I hope the rest of your recovery is uneventful and quick.

HagonNag 07-21-2012 07:46 PM

The flowers everyone sent to me are WONDERFUL. It may not have been what was planned, but it's wonderful. The tons of star gazer lilies and roses make the room smell wonderful and everyone who comes in remarks about it. They're amazed when I tell them it's from my online community, the Horse Forum! This is a very special place filled with great people.

After the chest tube comes out, they'll probably keep me for at least another 24 hours...so it will be Monday evening at the earliest when I get home. (I think) Jim and Iridehorses went riding this morning and when I told my nurse my husband was riding and wouldn't be in, she just about flipped! I guess only another horse person would understand.
LOL.

I haven't posted about how wonderful my DH Jim and Bill (Iridehorses) have been through all of this. They literally saved my life. If those cracks in C1 or C2 had been mishandled, I might have ended up just like Christopher Reeves (without his resources!)I'll be forever grateful! Jim's eating dinner tonight with Bill and his wife. Every available minute he's been spending with me at the hospital and Jodie thought he might like some REAL food.

cakemom 07-21-2012 07:49 PM

God bless you and the angels that took care of you. You seem so strong and I admire how your spirits have remained up during this whole adventure. Continued prayers and healing.
Posted via Mobile Device

HagonNag 07-21-2012 07:58 PM

There are still new bruises showing up...They went DEEP. My upper right arm is almost black and now I know why I couldn't move it. It looks like I've been mugged. Bruises are showing up around the side of my head/temple --- After all this time! My helmet is being replaced.

Word of my accident is spreading through our local horse community and can you believe that we are getting phone calls enquiring about Mr. Big Stuff? People are weird. Jim and I have decided that first we'll take him to our vet, get him thoroughly checked over and discuss his fate with the vet. If there is a cause we haven't found that makes sense, I might be inclined to spare him. But given his temperament of constant one-upmanship, that inclination might be iffy. He's exactly the kind of oh so smart horse that once he learns he can get away with something..... You HAVE to win every dispute with this horse. He keeps track. So far he's happy and healthy (outwardly) and doesn't seem to have a worry in the world.

gunslinger 07-21-2012 09:15 PM

Take your time with Big......no need to act to fast.....

Glad you're moving around.....

tinyliny 07-21-2012 09:41 PM

Well, I hope you are getting better every day and using the forum to distract you from the pain and memories. you are so lucky to have good friends and a supportive husband. good quality people tend to attract good quality friends. It's a fact.

HagonNag 07-23-2012 10:33 AM

Latest news --- Monday

A little setback. I was supposed to go home today, but I'm staying. The right lung still refuses to expand into the top of my chest. If it is isn't up tomorrow morning, I'm scheduled to go to the OR for insertion of a chest tube high up near the swelling between my collar bone and neck. They think that is keeping the lung from totally inflating and a chest tube would drain it and help encourage the lung to inflate. At least that's how I understand it. My regular, big chest tube came out yesterday. Today is day 8 in the hospital. If I stay much longer, I'm going to start wanting to decorate...pictures on the wall, new curtains...and somebody really ought to sack the cook and replace her!

My staff sent a big tin of Dove milk chocolate pieces (which I have been resolutely avoiding) and I'm offering this stash to the nurses to dip into whenever they bring my pain meds, take my vitals, etc. I wouldn't swear there is a connection but my pain meds always come on time or as soon as I ask for them...every time! LOL

Because most of the damage is high up on my chest, an epidural can't be done...so morphine shots and lortabs are my friends! Every day is getting easier...it's just that swelling and the pesky lung keeping me from going home. I NEED to go home. I made my husband a bet that I'll be riding again by at least the end of October. I do NOT intend to lose. :lol:

Speed Racer 07-23-2012 10:37 AM

Hag, sorry to hear about your setback, but glad to hear about the things going right.

Hang in there, girl! You have a lot of people pulling for you.

Cacowgirl 07-23-2012 11:13 AM

Since my husband was recently in the hospital (emergency surgery) I understand your restlessness-BUT-please let the hospital get you stable before you go home. Going back is even worse. Give yourself a chance to heal & for the bones to start mending. That drive home is no picnic, either. If they send you home w/ pain meds-try to have them in hand Before you leave the hospital. Hope your recovery is speedy & you come to peace w/your decision about Mr. Big.