The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Learning to ride (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/learning-ride-131803/)

AustinAndPenny 07-21-2012 09:35 PM

Learning to ride

Just learning to ride westerns with no horse, no trainer, no one to help me but books and strangers off of the internet.

Is it possible?

I have the concept of riding down, how to stop them, how to turn them, to slow down/move up.

But what I'm really trying to ask is, is it possible to really know how to ride without actually riding?

smrobs 07-21-2012 09:49 PM

First off, howdy and welcome to the forum :D.

It's not really possible to learn how to ride without actually riding. In that respect, riding a horse is a lot like doing open heart surgery. You can read all the books you want and watch all the videos in the world, but actually doing it is a whole other ball game.

You can learn the ideas and the reasonings behind certain methods/movements, but there is a lot of muscle memory and reaction memory that must be built up through performance. It's not really like riding a motorcycle, where it will react the exact same way as the one you saw in the video. Because horses are their own thinking beings, handling them well takes a lot of practice.

Heck, I've been handling/riding horses for about 25 years and I still don't know everything I need to handle every situation that comes up.

tinyliny 07-21-2012 09:51 PM

NO. I do not think it is possible. It' like saying, can you learn to ride a bike without riding one? No, it is muslce memory and you must experience the actual riding. If you have experience riding in another discipline, then you can learn a lot in books prior to starting the actual ride and be more advanced than had you not read at all, but I do not think riding can be learned via books. It must be done.

AustinAndPenny 07-21-2012 09:58 PM

Haha, I know some people who have horses and have actually handeled them, done the grooming when they needed me to ect, but I haven't riden them. I have a neighbor who has horses, and rides them western, but quite frankly, my property and theirs combined till thier driveway, is about a 20 acres and I don't have thier phone number. I wouldn't drive up there just to ask about that either. Maybe next time if they don't decide to sell off the horses.

Then there's always a friend but I don't have her number either and she lives maybe 20-23 miles away from me and has actually offered to let me ride her I forget the breed, but her 16.3hh very light grey gelding, Austin. It would be english but, I'd probaly in some ways prefer that better, but I'd actually like to barrel race, And you can't exactly do that in an english saddle. She has also offered to give me severely reduced lessons, for ten dollars a lesson, one lesson a week.

smrobs 07-21-2012 10:02 PM

$10 is a pretty good deal for a lesson. At this point, with you wanting just to learn how to ride the horse, english or western won't really matter much. Any time spent on a horse is better than no time at all.

AustinAndPenny 07-21-2012 10:18 PM

Yes. But, that's about a 40 mile trip there and back once a week. And there's no garuntee I can haul my butt up into the saddle, much less get my leg up high enough to put my foot in the stirrup. I'm 5' even. Austin is a little over 6'. If she had a mounting block, and she doesn't I might be able to get up on him. We're even contemplating(sp) leading him over to a fence and I can climb up enough to get on.

tinyliny 07-21-2012 10:33 PM

A fence can work quite well.

If you have never ridden, there is A LOT to learn. IT's not nearly as simple as you might think. If the girl is willing to give you a lesson, and she has some skill at that, then I'd do it. OR, look into a local riding school and take lessons on school horses, which in many ways is a better idea for first learning.

Prismis 08-22-2012 02:45 AM

40 miles isn't that far... Heck I drive my kids to school further then that everyday lol once a week is worth it for $10! Cheapest I can find around here is $25
Posted via Mobile Device

Hoofprints on my heart 08-23-2012 12:37 PM

Wish I could find lessons around here, cheapest is $25 and the trainer sucks and they told me im "to expierenced"

Prismis 08-24-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoofprints on my heart (Post 1657071)
Wish I could find lessons around here, cheapest is $25 and the trainer sucks and they told me im "to expierenced"

Maybe you should start doing the training then lol teach them something?
Posted via Mobile Device