The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Possibly in foal... What do you think? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/possibly-foal-what-do-you-think-131810/)

lexischase 07-21-2012 11:56 PM

Possibly in foal... What do you think?

10 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone!

I just rescued this 3 year old dun mini 2 weeks ago! Her name is Summer! Anyways I was told she came in with a shetland stallion and then kept in a holding pen. I have no clue when she was first exposed and no idea if she was bred or not. I am waiting for my vet to come next week, but in the mean time I thought I would share her photos and see what you all think! If you do think she is in foal... How far along do you think she could be?

One more question... The stallion is larger than her... Could this be a problem?

Cant wait to hear what you all think!

Thanks!

-Lexi

CLaPorte432 07-22-2012 12:06 AM

893 Attachment(s)
Well...idk. I think you have a 50-50 chance. Lol.

If I were to speculate, I'd say...maybe. hahaha.

She appears to be bagging up? But that could be due to her being very fat.

So...she either needs to diet, or pop out a baby. :-)

As far as the size difference, I don't for see any complications.

I can't wait to hear what your vet says!!!

Dreamcatcher Arabians 07-22-2012 12:43 AM

She could be pregnant, or just have a pony pot belly or she could be potty because of worm load. Be interesting to see what your vet says. I'm guessing you don't have a stallion to tease her with to see if she'll come in heat?

New_image 07-22-2012 10:38 AM

Wait for your vet. There is no way for us to tell you, its just a guess. However if she came in with a stallion my GUESS is that shes likely in foal. Her belly doesn't look all that big to me but in foal is in foal whether she is 1 month or 10 months pregnant.

lexischase 07-22-2012 05:28 PM

Thanks everyone!

SorrelHorse 07-22-2012 06:04 PM

Welp, Subbing because I want to hear what the vet says, plus I have to say I LOVE her face marking :) Cute!

lexischase 07-23-2012 09:40 PM

Thanks SorrelHorse :)

Her edema has moved back toward her udder... Not sure if that is normal. Her udder seemed slightly later tonight, as if something was changing. Her stomach also seemed slightly lower. None of this makes any sense though cause she is not HUGE and I highly doubt she is near birth...

lexischase 07-25-2012 10:05 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Her edema has moved back towards her udder... Here are the photos from this morning! Any thoughts?

waresbear 07-25-2012 10:13 PM

I kinda think she's in foal, but I could be wrong, but still looks like it to me. I love her wonky blaze! As far as size of the stallion and her size, it makes no difference. Horses are like humans in that regard, like a 4'10" little lady having a baby with 6'4" football players, makes no difference in utero.

NdAppy 07-25-2012 10:55 PM

*cough* With ponies and minis... YES it can be a problem. it's not the inutero size... it has to do with pelvis size of the dam and the birth canal. Yes a horse/pony can only carry a foal that will fit in their uterus, but it is entirely possible to have a foal get stuck. It is not pretty, and you can loose both the mare and foal.

Get your mare checked by a vet for pregnancy and have your vet on speed dial if she is.