The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How often do you guys clean your gelding's sheath? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-often-do-you-guys-clean-131869/)

gothicangel69 07-22-2012 05:06 PM

How often do you guys clean your gelding's sheath?

I'm just wondering how often everyone on here cleans their gelding's sheaths? Flash had his done by the vet in february (as I had never done it before and wanted someone to show me) She removed a bean the size of a walnut! She did tell me to check him 4-5 times a year for beans, but not to clean him too often. I cleaned his sheath again in may, and removed another small bean. Today, I decided to check him again as he's been a bit cranky, and his sheath was disgusting! I got about four handfuls of gunk in total, and a lima bean sized bean out of him. No wonder he's been cranky! Is it normal for him to be getting so dirty up there? I don't want to clean him too often, but I also don't want to leave him with a dirty sheath, as it makes him cranky.
How often is too often when it comes to sheath cleaning? It literally took me 40 minutes to get it all out, and that is without him fussing at all.
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 07-22-2012 06:15 PM

Some horses can go a year or more without a cleaning (it's really convenient if you can just have your vet do it at the same times as teeth). But, some horses need it done more often. I've even heard of one horse that needed it done weekly :shock:

With your horse, you might want to start checking him monthly. You might find that you don't need to clean him that often and you can back off on the frequency if that's the case.

Celeste 07-22-2012 07:54 PM

I love my mare.

Ray MacDonald 07-22-2012 08:25 PM

Usually its every six months but I agree, check often for beans and just check him one or twice a month to see if he needs cleaning.

gothicangel69 07-22-2012 08:52 PM

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about upping him to a check once a month. I guess I could use ky instead of cleaner if I'm doing it every month. That way it won't get rid of all the good bacteria.
Posted via Mobile Device

COWCHICK77 07-22-2012 09:01 PM

One of my horses are like that...about every 2 months when the weather is warm.
Some of that depends on where I am riding him. If I am doing a lot of arena riding and he is really getting in the ground I notice I have to do it more often even though I do a quick rinse when I am done riding. But still gets goopy faster than my other geldings.
Posted via Mobile Device