The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How often do you keep in touch with your trainer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-often-do-you-keep-touch-131882/)

trailhorserider 07-22-2012 06:57 PM

How often do you keep in touch with your trainer?

I just sent my colt off for saddle breaking. And groundwork. He needed it bad. :-|

Anyway, how often do you think it is reasonable to contact the trainer to ask about his progress? I don't want to be a pest. But I would like a little feedback on how he is doing. Do you tend to call the trainer or wait for him to call you? Do you consider no news good news? Or should I be bold and call? How often is fair and reasonable?

gunslinger 07-22-2012 07:25 PM

We have one at the trainer right now. I'd think one a week is plenty.

WSArabians 07-22-2012 09:06 PM

I'm my own trainer, so everyday, I guess. Sometimes I have interesting conversations with her... LOL

However, being a trainer, I REALLY encourage the owner to be an active partcipant in the training process. It doesn't help much if I can ride the horse but the owner has no idea how to ask him to sidepass, spin, etc.
You really teach the rider as much as you do the horse.

I had one lady who sent her horse to me for two months, never came during her training. Okay, I get schedules can be busy. But then she refused to ride er when she came to pick her up. Now, I still got paid, that's fine. But it seemed that she didn't appreciate anything that her horse and I had done.
I guess that's all trainer preference. I wouldn't mind a phone call everyday if that's what the owner needed, granted I can take the call when I can.

MissKatie 07-22-2012 09:24 PM

I would again say once a week if he is at the breakers. All trainers are different, but most of them seem pretty happy to talk about horses all day :-P but just in case, I would stick to once a week update

Goldielox 07-22-2012 09:35 PM

I call or send a text everyday.....to make sure my horse is being trained everyday..that way i know my horse is gettind all the training i paid for..... i also go and watch the training atleast 3 times a week.... just b up front w the trainer...that u will b very involved... also remember you are hiring the trainer.. he works for you... u make the rules....most good trainers want ur involvement.
Posted via Mobile Device

WSArabians 07-22-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldielox (Post 1610310)
he works for you... u make the rules.....
Posted via Mobile Device

Uhh....No. Not entirely, anyway.
You're horse is coming to me (or the trainer) because you don't know/can't do it. I don't expect any owner to make the rules about how I train (of course, except to say no abuse) or make the rules at MY ranch.
I'm pretty easy going, but that would be pushing it.

Prinella 07-22-2012 09:56 PM

Personally a couple times a week I think I'd want. Then againim one of those people tha loves to tell owners what's happening. A text takes me 20 seconds.

Good session with Billy today he's coming along nicely really starting to cope with his own energy. Have a look at this pic one of the girls snapped. Ideally I'd personally like a text a day or email every few days. I'd also be going up there regularly

trailhorserider 07-22-2012 10:26 PM

Oh, okay, I'm not being a pest then. My horse has been there 11 days and I emailed him about a week in, didn't get a response. My BFF who uses this trainer says he hardly checks his email. But she did talk to him because she just got her horse back from training and I got a little update on my horse through her, so I feel he's been working with him.

However, I would like to get an update first hand so I called two days ago and he said he was driving and would call me back, but I never got a call back. That was on a Friday and this is the weekend now, so I figure I will wait until early next week and try again.

I just sort of wanted reassurance the horse was doing okay, even though I know 11 days in he hasn't been able to do much with the horse.

If I could get an update weekly I would be really happy!

I guess I am just looking for reassurance because this is my first horse I have sent out for training and I have been having a hard time getting him mannerly myself.

I can't be there for his training because he is almost at the other end of the state. I choose this trainer for his track record with my friend's horses and another friend of her's horses. So even though I can't be there, I feel like I've seen his handiwork. So (crossing fingers) it will be a good choice. My friend pretty well sends them out for training, gets them back and trail rides them no problem.

I've been told the trainer rides the horses out solo all the time once they are broke enough to do so, and that's what I want, a good trail horse. I had another trainer I could have used closer to home who also would have trained ME (and he was cheaper, go figure) but I wasn't sure he really rode the horses outside the arena much. So I tried to choose someone who would ride the colt out in the real world.

So anyway, if I can get him back pretty ride-able I will be happy. If all goes well he will be there for 90 days.

So if I call once every week or two I shouldn't be a huge pest then. :-)

I just wish the trainer would call ME and I wouldn't have to bug him. I didn't anticipate communication being a problem.

calicokatt 07-22-2012 10:36 PM

The trainer we've always used calls us right away if there's any sort of problem. If/once the horse is broke, up to two weekly lessons are included in the price of the training, since it doesn't do any good to train a horse that the owner doesn't know how to ride. If the horse is not yet broke to ride, she will instruct you in all the things she's taught, such as ground work, clipping, saddling, etc. She stated right up front that we were free to drop by any time, but if we wanted to ride, to check with her first so we wouldn't interrupt her schedule. I usually would drop by once a week, at least, to see my horse/s and see how things were going. I prefer to talk in person, rather than over the phone, but if the trainer were a good distance from me, I'd probably call weekly.

Goldielox 07-23-2012 12:11 AM

Wat i ment was.... if u want to call or go see ur horse everyday you should b up front first with your trainer... if thats the service u want provided then then thats the trainer you hire.... as for my horse there r things that i want or dont want in the training... so here r my expectations/rules w my animal and if the trainer doesnt want to meet those demandsthen i wouldnt hire them..... this has nothing to do w how u train... th[QUOTE=WSArabians;1610324]Uhh....No. Not entirely, anyway.
You're horse is coming to me (or the trainer) because you don't know/can't do it. I don't expect any owner to make the rules about how I train (of course, except to say no abuse) or make the rules at MY ranch.
I'm pretty easy going, but that would be pushing it.[/QUOT