The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Lessons... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/lessons-131898/)

cowgirl928 07-22-2012 09:01 PM

Lessons...

Ok so i have been doing a lot of thinking and would like to and have the opportunity to start dressage with Hunny. But here is my question, I leave for 5 weeks for a study abroad program in January, and when I am gone she won't be ridden. Would it be pointless for me to start lessons if I am going to be gone for five weeks?

Failbhe 07-22-2012 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowgirl928 (Post 1610255)
Ok so i have been doing a lot of thinking and would like to and have the opportunity to start dressage with Hunny. But here is my question, I leave for 5 weeks for a study abroad program in January, and when I am gone she won't be ridden. Would it be pointless for me to start lessons if I am going to be gone for five weeks?

Well, I don't have any experience with dressage. But IMO, while the five-week gap might be a small setback, you'll still be farther along if you start now rather than waiting until you get back. I know once I decide I want to do something, I just want to DO it and have little-to-zero patience to wait!

Joidigm 07-22-2012 09:22 PM

If you don't leave until January, you still have 5 months to take lessons. Why not? Even if you do one lesson a week, that's some 20 lessons. You can learn quite a bit by then! I am away from my instructor for 7 months, and if I can afford to, I try to take a lesson with a local trainer if I can. I miss taking consistent lessons, I had a lot of fun when I did. Hunny will be fine when she takes a break while you are abroad. That shouldn't stop you from working with her now. :)

cowgirl928 07-22-2012 10:14 PM

ok, thanks! I will see what I can do with lessons now then

LadyDreamer 07-22-2012 11:30 PM

Five weeks is nothing in the long run. Do what benefits you most. Learning is never worth waiting on.
Posted via Mobile Device

LadyDreamer 07-22-2012 11:31 PM

That sounds funky. If you have the chance to learn now, why wait? That sounds a little better.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back2Horseback 07-22-2012 11:50 PM

I say go for it. If nothing else, when you return, it will be interesting to see how much of the training she (& you!) were able to retain over a five month period! :0) p.s. ENJOY your time abroad!! Lucky girl! :0)
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 07-23-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyDreamer (Post 1610498)
Five weeks is nothing in the long run. Do what benefits you most. Learning is never worth waiting on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Does this sound better:

Learning never deserves to be postponed.

cowgirl928 07-23-2012 12:24 AM

well, we have our first lesson on Wednesday. bit of a problem though is that we have no dressage saddle. so now what lol

Golden Horse 07-23-2012 12:31 AM

Don't sweat it, you really don't need a dressage saddle when you start out, so take some lessons see how you enjoy it, if you are having fun then put a saddle on your Christmas list:lol: