The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Devil foals... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/devil-foals-131912/)

CLaPorte432 07-22-2012 10:15 PM

Devil foals...

The stallion that my mare is bred to, produced a colt this past monday. Cute little bay dun. I show with the foal owners and they were telling these unbelieveable stories today about this colt.

He is viscious! A complete brat they are saying.

The granddaughter (whos 17) imprinted the foal Monday. By Thursday, this foal is kicking at them, striking at them. Baring his "gums" at them and pinning his ears. The grandmother is actually scared of him.

I have yet to see him. But this is so interesting to me. Supposedly the dam is a real...witch. But while the foal is doing all this stuff, the mare isnt doing anything. Shes not acting wigged out or being difficult.

I want to go see him myself, but im curious if anyone has ever had a foal like this before? How in the world do you handle such a situation with a newborn without scaring them?

Its slightly amusing to me...Then again, i hope these 2 ladies are up for the job to handle him, cause if they dont work with him and hes like this at less then 1 week old, i cant imagine what he'll be like at 1 year.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelRacingLvr 07-22-2012 10:17 PM

Yes one of my aunts foals is like that this year......but they are not afraid to smack the little turd monkey. After a few good smacks he quit trying to kick, rear, strike, ect....

Sounds like he has an attitude that needs to be addressed ASAP.

Prinella 07-22-2012 10:22 PM

Yup bubba needs a wake up call. Have these people delt with many foals?

CLaPorte432 07-22-2012 10:23 PM

Out of all the foals ive ever been around, ive never heard of a naughty newborn like this. Where do they learn such behavior so young? All the foals ive been around are sweet and friendly, or shy and curious. Never...bad. lol.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 07-22-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prinella (Post 1610382)
Yup bubba needs a wake up call. Have these people delt with many foals?

No they have not. The grandmother, like i said, is afraid of the little booger. The granddaughter is the one that wanted the foal and bred her mare. She is a good young horsewoman. Theyve had 1 other foal that i know of from this mare years ago, but are not breeders by any means.

A little bit of tough love is in order for this little guy huh?
Posted via Mobile Device

AlexS 07-22-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1610395)

A little bit of tough love is in order for this little guy huh?
Posted via Mobile Device

More than a little, and quickly. I'd smack the snot out of him. Every day it continues, the worse it's going to get.

Golden Horse 07-22-2012 10:33 PM

Some foals are really quick to learn that threatening people makes them scared. I made a huge rod for my own back when I got nervous of reprimanding a 2 day old foal who double barrelled me. I was wary of her and she took advantage of that and was a cow to handle. In the end I just threw her out with the mares and foals, and the herd sorted out her attitude, fortunately she was a nice as anything when I brought her back in.

From then on, if a foal tries to kick or bite they get put right in no uncertain terms, a kick for a kick, or just making yourself as big as possible and going Momma Bear on them growling as loud as possible and going forward towards them.

CLaPorte432 07-22-2012 10:35 PM

Good to know. Im going to pass this information onto them.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 07-22-2012 10:41 PM

All my horses, foals or not, get their Clinton Anderson groundwork from day 1, starting with desensitizing, and then the lunging, yielding, backing up, etc.

And don't panic, we don't lunge for HOURS until their leg fall off, We just do a circle at the walk or maybe the trot, just to get the idea and establish the "I can move your feet anywhere" aspect, and "I can move your forequarters and hindquarters anywhere I want." It's pretty amazing how fast they pick up on things.

Chevaux 07-22-2012 10:48 PM

That could turn into an interesting case study into the type of dispositions passed on by sire and/or dam. Are you aware of some of the other foals from this stallion?

I'm not remembering the names right now, but I believe there were a couple of notoriously 'aggressive' stallions in the thoroughbred world whose get (some but not all) had like disposition. In fact, one was an Australian horse as I recall so perhaps some of the Australian members can provide some input on this.

How is the foal with his mother? My thought is that if he's behaving relatively normal with her, then imprinting did not happen for whatever reason. But whether it is that or something else, all should proceed with caution and conviction to get the little guy in line before its too late.