The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   cheeky young tb help?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/cheeky-young-tb-help-13196/)

futolympeventer327 08-12-2008 01:01 PM

cheeky young tb help?!

My young tb has developed a rather cheeky teenage side and nothing seems to be working to make him quit. He doesn't really buck, he's just sort of hopping around, kicking out, refusing jumps just to refuse and generally being ornery.

It is NOT a pain issue he gets his teeth done 3x a year, see's the chiro once a month, has custom saddles that just got rechecked for fit, and has had a recent full work up by a vet including a lameness exam.

Anyways he'll kick out when I ask him to move forward, or he'll refuse a cross rail just to refuse. He picks and chooses and it seems like he is looking for a fight. I'll spank him and move on but he'll do it again 5 minutes later. If anyone has any suggestions to help me that would be great.

p.s. it's not just me he does it to he does it to everyone including my trainer who is a very good rider and competed successfully at advanced *** events.

SonnyWimps 08-12-2008 01:26 PM

I'd say stop riding him and start working on groundwork. To me he seems to be testing you and being dominant. Do some groundwork...lunge him over some jumps on a line and freely.

You said he was young. How young is he? Some horses learn stuff slower than others, just like some humans learn faster or slower than another. You may be expecting too much from him, and he's getting confused

FoxyRoxy1507 08-12-2008 04:54 PM

you say you smack him, what do u use?

when my young ens used to act up like this i would carry a dressage whip, it's a little bit better than using a crop bc it's longer and u can react faster with the dressage whip and one quick swap with that and usually the little bad ones start listenin! if u have any questions feel free to ask.

Mercury 08-12-2008 04:56 PM

How often does he get worked? Do you do the same exersizes everytime you ride?

I would suggest giving it a break and doing something else for a little while, like trails or games or dressage... something you don't normally do. My tb will start doign the same thing when he gets board (along with deciding everything in the world is scary...).

futolympeventer327 08-13-2008 03:56 PM

He's almost 6 and understands perfectly well.

He's very respectful on the ground and he gets longed twice a week anyways, he's trained to free longe on voice commands.

I use a dressage whip, it doesn't help when i smack him he does it again so usually we get in fights over it and I eventually win because he stops kicking out but at the same time i gave into him starting a fight.

He gets worked every day but he gets 2 months of pasture rest a year, during the show season break (june) and at the end of the show season (november).

Our current work schedule is

Mon- Jump lesson
Tues- Long Slow Distance conditioning (basically a long trailride)
Wed- Dressage were currently schooling counter canter, travers,
renvers and half pass.
Thur- Long slow distance again
Fri- Dressage lesson
Sat- Gallop sets outside on the conditioning track
Sun- trailride/ playing around just get him out and keep him
stretched for the monday jump lesson

So as you can see he gets outside quite a bit and is introduced to new things alot as he is an event horse and it doesn't pay to have a chicken event horse that usually just ends you up on the ground.

FoxyRoxy1507 08-13-2008 04:37 PM

try using spurs instead of a whip then, he knows the whip is coming but he may not expect the spurs

Mercury 08-14-2008 10:26 AM

Hmm... I only have 2 possible suggestions.

Generally when a horse tries crow hopping or bucking they have to slow down, so when he does slow down immediately push him forward and ask for more work. When he settles down, then let him slow down again.

My only other possible suggestion would be to give him 1 day off a week and give him a mental break.

futolympeventer327 08-14-2008 07:37 PM

I use spurs as well. Making him move forward works most of the time but it doesn't make him quit, he's a persistent little bugger.

love-a-hero 08-14-2008 09:08 PM

Just keep going.. the more wins the better... he will give in eventually. :wink:

futolympeventer327 08-16-2008 07:17 AM

well now he is sick, developed a cough yesterday so he is just getting trailrides and handwalks until that is taken care of.