The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Is it normal for horses to be sore footed on hard grounds? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/normal-horses-sore-footed-hard-grounds-131998/)

Cowgirls Boots 07-23-2012 04:43 PM

Is it normal for horses to be sore footed on hard grounds?

So as the title states-

My mare is on a strict 6 week trimming cycle. At our old barn we had a grass arena and rode on it daily with no issues. I also rode her out on the road there once and didn't notice any soreness.

I moved her almost a month ago and the driveway of this barn is gravel with some big rocks thrown in the mix. It does look to me like she's ouchy on the rocks and on the road at the new place. In the ring (which is stone dust) and her grass paddock she is totally fine. Now I could imagine walking on the rocks could be alittle ouchy because frankly it would be ouchy to me barefoot too!

She isn't limping on the rocks or anything she's just more 'careful' as I'd like to put it and she'd just rather walk in the grass. My friends horse is also the same way and she bought him easy boots which I also plan to buy for my mare.

We have to ride the road a bit to get to our trail riding spot but once we are in the fields she isn't lame or anything.
I know alot of horses can be sore footed especially in the winter time. My gelding is completely fine on the rocks but he's got rock solid feet.
Any input welcome !
Posted via Mobile Device

Appyt 07-23-2012 06:33 PM

There is a difference between hard ground and rock covered hard ground. IE gravel road/drives. What your horse is doing is normal. Just let him walk where he prefers grass, edge of road and when necessary to be on the rocky areas let him pick his way.

loosie 07-24-2012 02:40 AM

As Appy said, most horses have a bit of a problem with gravel/rocks. If she's got/getting good, healthy feet & her lifestyle/environment supports it, you could get her used to it with light daily walks over it, but for now, or for always if her feet aren't up to it or she won't get to do enough to get used to it, boots are a great solution generally.

Cowgirls Boots 07-24-2012 02:54 AM

I have to walk her on them usually daily because that's the only way I can get from her pasture to the barn to tack her up so maybe she will get use to it with daily walks over it.

Thanks for the input guys, I thought it was normal but then again just wanted to make sure!
Posted via Mobile Device