The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Feeding during shows/fairs. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/feeding-during-shows-fairs-132061/)

Saranda 07-24-2012 06:19 AM

Feeding during shows/fairs.

Sorry if this question has already been talked over, but the search tool was no help in this case.

My horse and I are attending a horse fair in 3 weeks time. We will go there on Friday evening and leave on Sunday afternoon. He will be provided a fenced paddock with grass for grazing, and I will bring my hay - just in case. But the question is about his hard feed. Normally he gets about 2 lbs of oats a day and an additional ~2 lbs of a pre-mixed feed 5 times a week. But does feeding have to be any different in show and trailering circumstances - should he be fed just forage, or should I take his usual portions of hard feed with me, too?

Thanks. :)

Fudgelove 07-24-2012 03:12 PM

Hello! I take my horse to a 4-h 5 day camp every year and we feed just as we would at home. Hope this helped!

verona1016 07-24-2012 04:01 PM

Same here- when I take my horse to a show I try to stick to his normal schedule as much as possible. The exception would be if you have a very sensitive horse, you might want to add a supplement designed to support the digestive system a few days before, during and a day or two following (something like SmartPak's SmartShip & Show)

Saranda 07-24-2012 04:14 PM

Thanks, your input really helped. I'll just take his feed with me and feed him as usual then. :)

farmpony84 07-24-2012 04:34 PM

Me too... I feed as I would at home.

oh vair oh 07-24-2012 05:46 PM

I usually up my horse's hay and protein rations. Especially if they are performing in several classes throughout the day. You want to make sure they replenish the extra energy that they would not normally spend while at home.

BarrelRacingLvr 07-25-2012 06:07 PM

I wouldn't change what your horse is used to, taking away something can be hard on them because their body is used to getting it.

My horses get the same grains and such when at races, but there hay gets upped while they are stalled plus they are getting worked more so need more.

churumbeque 07-25-2012 06:13 PM

I would feed his rations every day not just 5 days