The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   17 day old colt with diarrhea (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/17-day-old-colt-diarrhea-1321/)

Happy Appy Fan 03-27-2007 02:03 PM

17 day old colt with diarrhea

Hi,
I am the one that asked what age is right for weaning a while back, well, now the same baby has what appears to be diarrhea. His back end is all dirty, what do I need to do for him? I asked the previous owner of the mare if I needed to give the baby anything, like shots or supplements, she said no that he is getting everything he needs from mom right now.
I know there's things that we can give him but this is a first for me, so I am not sure what to get. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kim
http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/74...ures_014_1.jpg

savepitbulls 03-27-2007 03:24 PM

Babies often get diarreah but many things can cause it. Has he already had vaccinations? How is he acting? What is he eating? Is he experimenting with the mare's feed? Keep his back end as clean as you can and it if doesn't clear up in a couple days, call the vet and ask for advice. The vet might need to check him out.

Happy Appy Fan 03-27-2007 04:04 PM

He's acts fine, running around and playing. He has been nibbling mom 's food too. This is my first baby, so I don't know really what to do with him. What shots does he need and what kind of feed should he be own? I am feeding mom, "mare and foal" He's very curious and freindly so keeping him clean shouldn't be to hard to get done. Thanks and I will keep my eye on him. Kim :D

scamp 03-27-2007 11:28 PM

make sure the mare's shots were current while she was in foal with your baby. The baby is too young to get shots now I believe. The vet may want to do a "fecal test" on your baby, is the poop just loose or is it full blown diarrhea? I doubt it's anything too serious if he's acting normally otherwise, but like the previous message said keep his back end as clean as possible because it gets irritated very easily and I'd have a vet check him out.

pantha1 03-28-2007 02:41 AM

hi,

Would get vet advice, and make sure this foal is not dehydrated, pinch skin on neck, if it falls back normal he is not dehydrated, if skin stays up, then call the vet, baby needs rehydrating, and may need to go on a drip.

savepitbulls 03-29-2007 04:21 PM

Most vets I know suggest some vaccines in the first 24 hours that the foal is born. At this point, though I'd be more concerned about the baby getting dehydrated as mentioned above.

crackrider 04-10-2007 02:46 AM

A lot of foals get diarrhea after they are born. Make sure the foal is hydrated ,like mentioned above, if the pinched skin falls back slowly the foal could be slightly dehydrated. The skin should fall back immediatly and there shouldn't be any creases left where the skin was pinched if the foal is fully hydrated.
If the foal is dehydrated call a vet IMMEDIATLY!! Foals can't handle too much stress to their systems right now. If the foal is hydrated then just make sure it is eating/drinking ok and acting normal. If it doesn't get better within a day or two then call a vet!

irish horse 04-10-2007 08:16 PM

Re: 17 day old colt with diarrhea

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Appy Fan
Hi,
I am the one that asked what age is right for weaning a while back, well, now the same baby has what appears to be diarrhea. His back end is all dirty, what do I need to do for him? I asked the previous owner of the mare if I needed to give the baby anything, like shots or supplements, she said no that he is getting everything he needs from mom right now.
I know there's things that we can give him but this is a first for me, so I am not sure what to get. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Kim
[img]http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/742_Just_horse_pictures_014
_1.jpg[/img]

Hi

first it could be that the mare is in season often the foal has a scour when the mare is in season.

second it could also be that the digestive system of the foal is irrated . this happened to a connemara colt foal of mine , the vet gave me an oral antibiotic to give him for five consecitive days , then he suggested i pour /syring natural yogurt into his mouth for another few days.
i also found that stabeling the mare and foal and feeding the mare hay helped.
irish horse

TxHorseMom 04-12-2007 02:44 AM

I agree with Irish horse. It is probably scours. A mare will come into season aprox 3 weeks after she foals. (called the foal heat) It is perfectly normal. Another thing you can give is probiotics. You can get it in a paste. It is microorganisms to help his gut with digestion. It is also often given to older horses to help them digest more of their feed.

Happy Appy Fan 04-12-2007 02:47 AM

Thanks everyone for all of the suggestions....

He is doing great now. No more problems. Thanks, Kim :D