The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   finding a carrot stick/stick and string (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/finding-carrot-stick-stick-string-132130/)

HorseLover2011 07-24-2012 06:12 PM

finding a carrot stick/stick and string

these things are known by many names
i am looking to buy a carrot stick,but something cheaper then parelli's stick but is just as good.
if anyone has any suggestions theyd be greatly appreciated:D

Joe4d 07-24-2012 10:58 PM

yeh get a stick off a tree, tie a plastic trash bag to the end

Casey02 07-24-2012 11:06 PM

I was thinking the same thing, probably cost the same to grab a stick off a tree as it cost mr.pat parelli to make a carrot stick.

According to parelli I have hundreds of dollars worth of hackamores at my house (same as his, a rope halter with one long cotton rein...oh sorry mine dont have parelli stamped on it)

WSArabians 07-24-2012 11:09 PM

Agreed with the above. I always made my own.

tinyliny 07-24-2012 11:36 PM

There are others around. Google something like Natural Horsemanship supplies.

I really dislike those sticks. They are heavy and hard to use with any finesse. I don't know why a person can't just use a dressage whip, or a carriage whip.

Saranda 07-25-2012 07:51 AM

Dressage whips often have too much movement in them. You tap once, but they slap back for another tap sometimes, and this hurts precision. However, they are perfect for more advanced moves, but for a beginner something more heavy and stiff, and with not that much of a "bite" is sometimes better.

I prefer these - Reitstick Set für Natural Horsemanship | eBay

Made after the merchandise of the NH clinician Honza Blaha. They are lighter and shorter than most "carrot sticks", swift and with a nice bite, if it is neccessary. I use a good dressage whip just as well, but these sticks have the perfect weight/lenght ratio for me as an individual.

PintoTess 07-25-2012 07:53 AM

Go into the fridge at grab a carrot, cut it up and Voila, Cheap and easy carrot stick! And if you really wanted to, attach a string to the end!

Sorry couldn't resist ;)

But seriously, buy a cheap dressage whip and attach a string, bag etc to the end. theyre light weight, cheap, and strong.

PintoTess 07-25-2012 07:59 AM

Hmmm but Saranda has a logical opinion to the dressage whip also...

Saranda 07-25-2012 08:11 AM

And I've tried it out - both as a beginner myself, and later on, teaching other novices the basics of NH groundwork. I came to a conclusion that, though I agree a traditional PP "carrot stick" is very heavy and hard to handle, the stifness of it and those alike help to learn precision greatly. Later, when the body language BOTH of the handler and the horse has become more refined, a dressage whip can be beneficial. But in the beginning a stiffer and heavier "carrot stick" also helps introducing a young horse to the concept, as there will be no accidental, confusing or just to snappy "taps" that can be made with a dressage whip. As for a beginner handler - the weight of the stick discourages to move too fast and without hinking, thus preventing unnecessary cues.

I hope I managed to express my ideas clear enough. :)

Saddlebag 07-25-2012 08:44 AM

I tried a bona fide Parelli stick and found it tiring because of it's weight and it puts a lot of strain on the wrist. Since I had a spare, I shortened a lunge whip and taped on a vinyl tab. I had scrap, the type with the woven backing. The local hardware store carried cotton rope so I tried that. The lunge whip is lighter and easier to use then I wound up cutting very thin willow branches. It is easy to make the tip "sing" and the horse responds. One can tap as light as a fly landing. The feeling is like conducting an orchestra.