The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Anyone recognise this 60 or 70's western roping saddle or it's brand? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/anyone-recognise-60-70s-western-roping-132136/)

Nokotaheaven 07-24-2012 07:02 PM

Anyone recognise this 60 or 70's western roping saddle or it's brand?

7 Attachment(s)
Hello, a few years ago I got this classic saddle. I've been wanting to find out as much as I can about it. It's a 16 or 17 inch seat, and has a production number as well as a brand on one of the leg flaps. The brand is very hard to read though, all I've been able to make out so far is 'western saddlery' written across the top. Also it has a W picture as the brand. Also when you sit in the saddle, it's not like roping saddles of today, it's like riding on a cushion. Sorry the pictures aren't the greatest, it hasn't had a saddle cover on in a while, so I had to do my best to brush off all the dust with soft horse brushes.... Sometime soon I am going to clean and oil it though, maybe then I'll be able to make out more on it. The production number is 1650. Any info on the saddle or brand would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)
By the way, I love this saddle so much, I will NEVER sell it in a million years, because it also has sentimental value to me. I don't care that it's well worth over $1,000 as is lol. And I am going to take the best possible care of it[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 107698[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Nokotaheaven 07-24-2012 07:04 PM

I can also get more photos if anyone needs em

Saddlebag 07-30-2012 10:55 AM

. I've seen the W before andby racking my brains I'm wondering if it was made by Great West Saddlery. If you look closely there's a saddle embossed in the W. The buckstitching became popular in the late 60's to gussy it up a bit. The was about the beginning of the pie crust cantle. I'll best it's heavy with it's rawhide covered tree and thick leather. The way to meas. the seat is the bottom of the horn to the inside top edge of the cantle. 17" seats weren't around then except for custom. One great aspect of cleaning a western saddle is the entire thing doesn't have to be done all at once. As long as you clean the entire piece of leather you can pick and chose which to do first. Now I am seeing Westerm Saddlery which I didn't when I first looked.

Nokotaheaven 02-09-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1622189)
. I've seen the W before andby racking my brains I'm wondering if it was made by Great West Saddlery. If you look closely there's a saddle embossed in the W. The buckstitching became popular in the late 60's to gussy it up a bit. The was about the beginning of the pie crust cantle. I'll best it's heavy with it's rawhide covered tree and thick leather. The way to meas. the seat is the bottom of the horn to the inside top edge of the cantle. 17" seats weren't around then except for custom. One great aspect of cleaning a western saddle is the entire thing doesn't have to be done all at once. As long as you clean the entire piece of leather you can pick and chose which to do first. Now I am seeing Westerm Saddlery which I didn't when I first looked.

Sorry, for a LONG time I sorta lost this thread... Then by chance a few mins ago i found it on google lol. do u know what company runs the W with a saddle in it? I looked at Great West saddlery but couldn't find a matching brand :/
My saddle's production number is 1650. And it's got a Belvin Buckle on it

Phly 02-09-2013 02:17 AM

I don't know. I have a VERY similar saddle that not marked. After askin around online and then asking a saddlery, have come to the conclusion mine was likely made on a ranch or small town saddle builder. Yours being marked at least gives ya something to work with. Wish I could be more help.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nokotaheaven 02-09-2013 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 1885607)
I don't know. I have a VERY similar saddle that not marked. After askin around online and then asking a saddlery, have come to the conclusion mine was likely made on a ranch or small town saddle builder. Yours being marked at least gives ya something to work with. Wish I could be more help.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you :)
And yeah.. but so far nadda

Nokotaheaven 02-09-2013 02:50 AM

Oh my god I just found this!!!!! It clearly has a W, a saddle, and says 'Western Saddlery', and says it's located in Winnipeg! YAY!!!! Now to find the maker in winnipeg...
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTYwWDcyMA==/$(KGrHqR,!oQFBZ707,CPBQq1hwR0w!~~48_79.JPG

Nokotaheaven 02-09-2013 03:16 AM

.. That lead me nowhere :/

jillybean19 02-09-2013 10:45 AM

It seems you already have all the answers to your question?

The manufacturer is "Western Saddlery" and the brand name is "Big W"

Check this listing out: 15" Big w Western Saddlery Buckstitched Western Horse Parade Saddle w Taps | eBay

Are you looking for something more?

jillybean19 02-09-2013 10:50 AM

With a quick Google search, I found another thread (on another forum) that said they think the company was bought out by Big Horn