The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   One hand or two on reins? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/one-hand-two-reins-132142/)

Sunnylucy 07-24-2012 06:21 PM

One hand or two on reins?

Just curious, I always rode one-handed, but recently I see more two handed riders and have had instructors say to use two hands, I'd be interested to know others thoughts on this. I'm a righty but have always held reins in left hand.

smrobs 07-24-2012 06:29 PM

For me, it greatly depends on the individual horse and the situation. On my older, very broke horses, I only ever ride with 1 hand unless I am specifically working on something where I need more lateral signal.

On my younger horses, when they neck rein, I'll start riding them with only one hand. If a stiuation comes up where I need 2 hands (like working cattle where I need quicker reactions and more precision), I'll often go back to using 2 hands. But, as soon as the work is done, it's back down to 1 hand I do.

Once a horse knows how to neck rein, I try not to ever ride them with 2 hands during just regular riding. Riding them like that all the time makes it take longer for them to get solid and consistent with their neck reining.

Casey02 07-24-2012 06:37 PM

What ever I feel like that day ;) haha just kidding but like smrobs said it depends what the situation is. If I am actually trying to achieve something or just ploting down the trail etc

Joe4d 07-24-2012 06:52 PM

did you get where you were going ?
well then Id say it all worked out.

TristaJean 07-24-2012 06:54 PM

I ride with two hands, as a personal preference and because my horse doesn't know how to neck rein.
Posted via Mobile Device

oh vair oh 07-24-2012 07:13 PM

When I'm training I switch constantly depending on what I need my horse to do.
I usually go one-handed when they relax and get to neck rein.
Two-handed is when I'm working on bending and collection.

But for showing it's snaffle = two handed, curb = one handed.

Roperchick 07-24-2012 07:15 PM

all my horses are trained to neck rein. so i usually ride one handed on them...my colt and gelding are former show horses so I was required to ride one handed on them.
but i always ride one handed anyways because i do alot of roping....and im lazy.
all my horses are actaully trained on leg pressure...i do alot of bridlelesss but still haha.

the only time i ride 2 handed is if im training a young horse or if the horse im riding is being a tool and I need a little bit more control of em.

Requiem 07-24-2012 07:24 PM

I guess I ride one-handed with the more experienced horses or the horses that work best that way, and ride two-handed with the greener horses and the horses that work best that way. It depends on the horse, really -- my mare has trouble with bits, so I actually one-hand it in a sidepull, so I have the option to direct rein or neck rein. She responds amazingly. My gelding responds best to two-handed direct reining, so that's how I ride him.

HarleyWood 07-24-2012 07:31 PM

for my QH i ride one handed with the left hand (um right handed) with moms horse i ride with both when training, and one when going down the road. and two with my Gelding as he rides better that way.

TrojanCowgirl 07-24-2012 08:13 PM

For my green mare, I ride her with one hand on the trails and two while we're schooling. Depends on the exercises we're doing. Flexing, stretching and all of our flat work is done with two hands.