The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/)
-   -   Fly Fishing! (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/fly-fishing-132152/)

SaddleStrings 07-24-2012 09:33 PM

Fly Fishing!

I am so excited! This coming Friday, I am FINALLY going to have an official fly fishing lesson! I have wanted to learn to fly fish forever, as my dad used to fly fish too! I've been practicing my casting, but have just needed someone to take me out to the river and coach me. My cousin has a friend who teaches fly fishing, and my cousin talked his friend into giving us both lessons! Can't wait! Hopefully, I won't get snagged in a tree, yikes! Maybe I'll catch a fish on a fly I've tied? Wish me luck! :D :lol:

Joe4d 07-24-2012 10:21 PM

Why would you want to catch a fly ?

SaddleStrings 07-25-2012 02:57 AM

Lol! Good point! I'm not fishing for fish, I'm fishing for flies. :P

tinyliny 07-25-2012 03:52 AM

I used to fly fish a bit, with hubby , who can do it much better than me. There's something really engageing about it. Every cast is diffeent from the one before and the feel of the pole, the sound of the line moving out and how you see a pool on the river, say , "I 'm going to lay my fly right there. I just know a trout is on the edge of that pool". then, of course, I'd smack the flie down too hard and scare the trout away. But, I did catch some . even caught a small salmon once.

you'll love it. kind of expensive hobby 'cause you keep losing flies and leader and stuff

SouthernTrails 07-25-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1613477)
Why would you want to catch a fly ?

Chocolate covered Flies are a delicacy in some countries :lol:

I have not been fly fishing in 10 years, it did enjoy it in the North GA Mountains, sitting by a cool stream or wading in the water on a hot day, so relaxing and a good way to keep cool.