The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Help streamline feeding time please?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/help-streamline-feeding-time-please-132207/)

poppy1356 07-25-2012 10:16 AM

Help streamline feeding time please??

I'm going nuts preparing my mare's dinner every night. She currently has 5 'additives' to her grain. I would like to do something to streamline this process as it takes forever to get it all ready.

She gets Mare Magic, daily dewormer and MSM. Then there are the liquids: Red cell and Flax seed oil.

This is all on top of her 4lbs of safechoice. Morning feeding is strictly safechoice but at night I have to add everything else.

So what are your ideas to make this easier??

mls 07-25-2012 10:18 AM

Small containers. Prepare a weeks worth at a time.

I have a couple of boarders that do this for me, and a couple that don't. It doesn't matter to me as I don't find feeding takes that long. We feed supplements at no additional charge.

DancingArabian 07-25-2012 10:21 AM

^^^

For the pellets and powders, put them into sandwich baggies. For the oils, if you feed a specific amount keep a container that holds that nearby. You can keep the baggies in a plastic shoebox.
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 07-25-2012 10:21 AM

Even with the liquids? I don't want them to make the food rot or anything? Or put the liquids in separate containters?

I feed at night that's why I add everything in then to make sure it doesn't get missed. You never know what can come up during the day to make someone rushed or forget.

Cinnys Whinny 07-25-2012 10:22 AM

Well, my #1 solution is start getting her supplements in SmartPaks.... some people think it's a little pricier but I personally think it's not that much more and it saves a TON of time. Everything is pre-measured and ready to go...just pull off the tab and dump.

#2 If this is not the solution for you then you can sort of make up your own. Make up your own pre-measured bins. Just pre-measure all the dry ingredients into ziplocks. It would probably take an hour or so to do a month supply but then when you go to feed at night you could just grab a baggy and dump and then just worry about the wet, or measure them out into something.

This will also help if for some reason someone else has to feed for you because you are sick or on vacation as they won't have to measure and you will know your horse is getting the correct amount.

Cinnys Whinny 07-25-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 1614305)
Even with the liquids? I don't want them to make the food rot or anything? Or put the liquids in separate containters?

Definitely keep the liquids and drys separate until feeding as they will spoil and could make the horse sick. A baggy of wet and a baggy of dry should work just fine.

mls 07-25-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 1614305)
I feed at night that's why I add everything in then to make sure it doesn't get missed. You never know what can come up during the day to make someone rushed or forget.

Feeding horses their required supplements should not be a question of time or remembering. It's a fact. My sleep or TV show is not as important as those horses.

poppy1356 07-25-2012 10:27 AM

Ok so liquids will perhaps get those tiny little tupperware containers.

I don't want smartpaks because this routine could change at any time if the vet decides to try something else.

I would feel so bad if I couldn't make it out to feed and had to try to explain how to mix everything up.

poppy1356 07-25-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 1614316)
Feeding horses their required supplements should not be a question of time or remembering. It's a fact. My sleep or TV show is not as important as those horses.

I know. But just incase an emergency comes up at the barn, which does happen. She is being fed as a favor and when my bf is home he feeds in the morning so sometimes she only needs someone else once a week sometimes a few times a week. It just helps eliminate the what if's.

Cinnys Whinny 07-25-2012 10:38 AM

I understand. Cinny's SmartPak has changed several times since I had him. If it doesn't have to be immediate (you just got a new shipment) then they are easy to change in the next month. When Cin started having his tummy trouble we had to add an ulcer prevention and SmartPak sent it to me right away for the rest of the month and then added it to his next month smart pak. They are REALLY nice and easy to work with.

But anyway, yeah if I were you I would do the containers but I would probably do at least 2 weeks worth so that you don't end up "out" on the day that you end up with somebody else feeding. Before I had smart pak I would do mine when I watched tv at home or made my daughter do it LOL. Gotta love child labor.