The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   BO probably thinks I'm stupid (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/bo-probably-thinks-im-stupid-132218/)

Ripplewind 07-25-2012 11:53 AM

BO probably thinks I'm stupid

So I got a new bridle and I was trying it out. It's the Freedom Bridle from Moss Rock Endurance. Freedom Bridle - Moss Rock Endurance - Your Source for Custom Biothane Competitive Tack

I had it set up in the "combo configuration" style, with the intention of later taking off the bit and having it set up cross-under bitless.

I was in the arena and my BO/riding teacher enters with a student he was about to teach. I walk over to him and tell him that I like the new bridle, but I was worried that it might be too tight over my horse's poll. (Turns out it wasn't after all, but I didn't find out until I went online.) He walks over, glances at the poll, loosens the throatlatch (which was already pretty loose), and then notices how the reins are set up.

He looks at me like you would look at a kid whole stole candy from Walmart; he looked at me like I was an idiot. He says, "Good Lord, why are your reins set up that way?" I say that it's because I'm trying to train Winny to go bitless, and then I ask if it's a bad idea. My trainer says, "Well, you've got opposite pressure on his face," and then proceeds to unclip the reins and put them back on the bit (sidepull style). He chuckles, pats my horse as if he feels sorry for him, and then goes off to teach his lesson.

I walk out of the arena and hand graze Winny until the lesson is over. I go back to the arena, work him a bit more, then go to the barn and hose him off, feeling dejected and stupid. I slick off the extra water, and bring Winny, the bridle, and the crop into the round pen. I wait for him to dry off, and then I take off the bit, loop the reins through the nose-band rings and hook them on the other side (cross-under), and hop on him bareback. He was a bit rough at first, but he did BEAUTIFULLY after about five minutes. We walk out of the round pen, and I ride him around the farm. He tries to graze a few times but, unlike when I would ride in his halter, he quickly picked his head back up when he learned that he couldn't just ignore me in the new bridle. He did SO well.

Anyways, my whole point in this is: What should I do about how my trainer acted? I've learned a LOT with him and I would never be able to ride as well as I do without his help. He's smart and knows what he's doing. And that's my problem. I can't just explain to this old-timer why the reins were set up the way they were. I feel like it would be incredibly disrespectful. Plus, I'm sixteen. He's a grandfather. And I'm really bad at explaining things. I don't want to be that typical teenage rider who thinks that she knows everything and that she's better than everyone else. I could just ride normally when he's at the farm, and then set up the bridle how I want to when he's gone, but I feel like that's being sneaky and I'd rather have him see how it works than to do it behind his back (even though I'm not above doing it. :twisted:).

I have a lesson today at four, so he'll either ask me to show him how Winny does bitless-cross-under, or he'll forget about it and have us ride sidepull.

Ugh. Should I listen to him and ride sidepull with the bit or ride how I want to, when I want to? After all, Winny is MY horse and I am fully responsible for his training. If I want to do something that my trainer doesn't like/understand, then it should be up to me, right?

mls 07-25-2012 12:04 PM

Your horse of course - however - I agree with your BO.

The pressure is opposite for any type of collection. Trail riding or putzing fine. Try to turn a barrel or work a cow. Your horse will tip it's head away from where you are directing it.

Ripplewind 07-25-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 1614471)
Your horse of course - however - I agree with your BO.

The pressure is opposite for any type of collection. Trail riding or putzing fine. Try to turn a barrel or work a cow. Your horse will tip it's head away from where you are directing it.

Yeah, it's mainly for the trail and fooling around. Nice thing about the bridle is that I can still attach the bit in a flash. And the bit will fit in my pocket, too. (Loose-ring snaffle)

I'm not the person who thinks that all bits are bad, cruel, and abuse. I'm fine with whatever bit. I just want my horse to be comfortable, and if all we're doing is fooling around, he doesn't really need the bit for that.

WickedNag 08-01-2012 08:56 AM

I don't think your BO was being nasty... he chuckled and patted the horse. Sounds like he made a correction and you were sensitive to it. Let it go and next time tell the BO Thanks :)

DancingArabian 08-01-2012 09:02 AM

I'm confused.
Why would you use a bit if you have a cross under bitless bridle?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ripplewind 08-06-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 1625666)
I'm confused.
Why would you use a bit if you have a cross under bitless bridle?
Posted via Mobile Device

I had it set up that way to get him used to the head pressure. A light tug on the reins would produce head pressure. A firm tug would produce head pressure with bit action in case he doesn't listen.

franknbeans 08-29-2013 08:12 PM

All due respect-but you are 16. That limits the number of years experience you could possibly have. I know you may feel really knowledgable-I have never met a 16 yr old girl who didn't-but listen to your trainer. If you do not understand WHY , and want to know, ask after the lesson next time.

Ripplewind 08-29-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 3497370)
All due respect-but you are 16. That limits the number of years experience you could possibly have. I know you may feel really knowledgable-I have never met a 16 yr old girl who didn't-but listen to your trainer. If you do not understand WHY , and want to know, ask after the lesson next time.

Don't worry, I've gotten a lot better since then. :wink: I was being way too sensitive to what he said. And yeah, you're right. I hadn't been with my trainer for that long, and what I thought was being kinda mean was actually just him being himself. He really is a kind person. :) Another thing is, I am shamefully shy and easily intimidated. Which is why I didn't say anything.