The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sun burned noses :( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sun-burned-noses-13222/)

SonnyWimps 08-13-2008 12:14 AM

Sun burned noses :(

Well I just noticed that Sonny has a sunburn on his nose and it's scabbing over. I want to put something on it to help heal it up and protect it...but not sure what to put on it.

Any suggestions?

danastark 08-13-2008 02:03 AM

Our paint gets burned all the time unless we coat his nose with regular human sunscreen. I get 30 or higher and slather it on in the morning. I've heard Desitin for babies works really well too.

o0hawaiigirl0o 08-13-2008 02:09 AM

One of our farriers said that covering sunburned noses in Swat helps the skin heal quickly, but I haven't had the chance to try it.

To prevent my mare from getting sunburned, I use a cheap brand of 50 SPF baby sunscreen. We both use it. ;) It's best to get the kind that is sweat and water resistant. I've been putting it on her pretty much every day this summer, but every other day usually works fine.
There's also a type of sunscreen that's made specially for horses, but I forget its name... :P

BrwnEyedGrl 08-13-2008 08:46 AM

Yep I'm gonna agree with the other 2 here. My girl gets burnt on her nose, & I just go out & buy the cheapo baby sunblock! SPF 30 or higher. Helps & smells good!!

Rachluvshorses4eva 08-14-2008 04:28 AM

Like other people have said, there is sunscreen you can buy, you can use normal or special ones made for horses. You won't believe it but there is now fluro horse sun screen that you can put on your horse's nose! Like yellow, green and pink!

It also looks really cool!

Jubilee Rose 08-14-2008 11:15 AM

Alas, my horsie has the same problem! I constantly find scabbies on her nose. For a little while I was using Ihle's Paste (zinc), and now I'm just slathering her nose in regular 30 SPF human sunscreen.

Not fun. :roll:

SonnyWimps 08-14-2008 12:02 PM

would I have to worry about it coming off in the water when he's drinking or anything?

I'll definately try it!

I've been putting swat on it, so we'll see how that is working. I mainly put SWAT on it because the bugs kept getting to his nose and breaking the skin

moomoo 08-14-2008 12:23 PM

you can get sunburn mask thingies for them too :) my sisters horse has one i will try to find a photo

PoptartShop 08-14-2008 12:59 PM

Yeah, I use sunscreen. :D Most of them are waterproof/sweatproof so it shouldn't come off when he drinks.

Jubilee Rose 08-14-2008 01:12 PM

I have a question --- What is swat? I've never heard of it. :oops: