The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Stuck in the Middle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/stuck-middle-132222/)

barrelbeginner 07-25-2012 12:20 PM

Stuck in the Middle

There is a horse at the barn that i work at, working with horses, but im completely stuck in the middle... which sucks..
This horse is a Quarter Horse Gelding and he is BUILT. Very stocky. and not TOO tall either. I LOVE the way that he is built.. My boss got this horse for free because.... his past owners were tired of him bucking people off.. Before she got him he had bucked the last dozen people off him.. So now, he KNOWS that he can get people off by, NO JOKE, he goes crazy. We went to tie him to the hitching rail. He stood there.. until he saw the saddle and the blanket. Then he literally pulled back so hard he broke the lead.
Then, We put him in a rope halter, that had better pressure and an attached type lead, and he flipped over himself and was legitly choking himself. I thought he broke his neck because he was just laying there.. We had to cut the lead this time because he was just lying there you know, not breathing.. smart right..
Since, he wouldnt stand still to put the saddle on we went and did some ground-round pen work with him. AND FINALLY got the saddle on. did some more ground work.. He DIDNT buck.
AS soon as my boss got on him he went bizarre..he reared, bunny hopped, and my boss more of jumped of as he was going down and about fell. THEN HE TRIED TO RUN HER OVER!.. I dont think that it was in a mean way.. i feel like the saddle or the even in general scared him and he was just running around..

He has no respect at all. I was in the pasture with him yesterday and he kept walking up to me and NUDGING me and pushing me out of the way. I would make him back up and stay out of my space but nothing would work.. he would just keep coming back. Then i would like pat him on the side hard but not really hard and tell him GO AWAY OUT OF MY SPACE. and he pinned his ears back and pawed at me. He is dominent in the herd of most of the horses.. (there are about 30 horses)
My boss things that he is TOOOO dangerous to be around and that no one is going to be able to ride him really. and that if they did he would be one of those horses that would test the rider.. I know that i think that this would be hard for me to do, but what if i worked with him? He isn't that old either.. He could be transformed..
We contacted the owners before her and they said that he was a rescue horse before they had got him. So I feel like it's not his fault that he is the way he is.. So i feel like he deserves the chance to be a good horse. I see SOOOOOO much potential in him.. Its sad that he is like this. I just wanna help....

oh and let me add. He is not mean all the time.. just if you try to get him out of your space.. He is nice.. you can pet him all over.. touch him anywhere. he leads.. doesnt drag you around.. he has GOOD qualities .. just more bad ones.. but i think they could be fixed with patience..

any advice??

Annanoel 07-25-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrelbeginner (Post 1614498)
There is a horse at the barn that i work at, working with horses, but im completely stuck in the middle... which sucks..
This horse is a Quarter Horse Gelding and he is BUILT. Very stocky. and not TOO tall either. I LOVE the way that he is built.. My boss got this horse for free because.... his past owners were tired of him bucking people off.. Before she got him he had bucked the last dozen people off him.. So now, he KNOWS that he can get people off by, NO JOKE, he goes crazy. We went to tie him to the hitching rail. He stood there.. until he saw the saddle and the blanket. Then he literally pulled back so hard he broke the lead.
Then, We put him in a rope halter, that had better pressure and an attached type lead, and he flipped over himself and was legitly choking himself. I thought he broke his neck because he was just laying there.. We had to cut the lead this time because he was just lying there you know, not breathing.. smart right..
Since, he wouldnt stand still to put the saddle on we went and did some ground-round pen work with him. AND FINALLY got the saddle on. did some more ground work.. He DIDNT buck.
AS soon as my boss got on him he went bizarre..he reared, bunny hopped, and my boss more of jumped of as he was going down and about fell. THEN HE TRIED TO RUN HER OVER!.. I dont think that it was in a mean way.. i feel like the saddle or the even in general scared him and he was just running around..

He has no respect at all. I was in the pasture with him yesterday and he kept walking up to me and NUDGING me and pushing me out of the way. I would make him back up and stay out of my space but nothing would work.. he would just keep coming back. Then i would like pat him on the side hard but not really hard and tell him GO AWAY OUT OF MY SPACE. and he pinned his ears back and pawed at me. He is dominent in the herd of most of the horses.. (there are about 30 horses)
My boss things that he is TOOOO dangerous to be around and that no one is going to be able to ride him really. and that if they did he would be one of those horses that would test the rider.. I know that i think that this would be hard for me to do, but what if i worked with him? He isn't that old either.. He could be transformed..
We contacted the owners before her and they said that he was a rescue horse before they had got him. So I feel like it's not his fault that he is the way he is.. So i feel like he deserves the chance to be a good horse. I see SOOOOOO much potential in him.. Its sad that he is like this. I just wanna help....

oh and let me add. He is not mean all the time.. just if you try to get him out of your space.. He is nice.. you can pet him all over.. touch him anywhere. he leads.. doesnt drag you around.. he has GOOD qualities .. just more bad ones.. but i think they could be fixed with patience..

any advice??

He sounds VERY dangerous, I would enlist the help of the BO if she's willing to help. IF she has experience with this sort of situation I would let her handle it or bring in another trainer. You sound a little younger, not that age has anything to do with it, but this is a dangerous situation and someone with LOTS of experience needs to take him on. Have you ruled out all sorts of pain? He could have pain with the saddle or pressure from the saddle. I would have a vet check him over and see what's going on, he may need an adjustment, either physically or attitude wise. He may need to be just restarted from the ground up, act like he knows nothing and get him going... I again would make sure you always have someone with you when working with him and if you're willing to take the time and have the patience to work with him, good luck!

xJumperx 07-25-2012 12:30 PM

http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trai...realize-50485/

barrelbeginner 07-25-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annanoel (Post 1614510)
He sounds VERY dangerous, I would enlist the help of the BO if she's willing to help. IF she has experience with this sort of situation I would let her handle it or bring in another trainer. You sound a little younger, not that age has anything to do with it, but this is a dangerous situation and someone with LOTS of experience needs to take him on. Have you ruled out all sorts of pain? He could have pain with the saddle or pressure from the saddle. I would have a vet check him over and see what's going on, he may need an adjustment, either physically or attitude wise. He may need to be just restarted from the ground up, act like he knows nothing and get him going... I again would make sure you always have someone with you when working with him and if you're willing to take the time and have the patience to work with him, good luck!

My BO is'nt ever there.. she is VERY EXPERIENCED she has broke horses before. that are now kid horses and yes i was thinking about it.. She has a friend that is a trainer and he also said that it wasnt worth the time to train him but i disagree. and he checked for pain as he does that sort of stuff to.. He doesn't have any pain. I AMMM willing to take the time. But i dont think they are.. which is the sad thing, because i kill buyer might buy him because of his attitude.. I think its the saddle as well.. Under his tummy he has a white line and i think my own superstition. I think its a cinch sore. because its right where the cinch is and he is sorrel color all over.. so its not just a spot of white on him.. I really dont wanna give up on him though..

Annanoel 07-25-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrelbeginner (Post 1614524)
My BO is'nt ever there.. she is VERY EXPERIENCED she has broke horses before. that are now kid horses and yes i was thinking about it.. She has a friend that is a trainer and he also said that it wasnt worth the time to train him but i disagree. and he checked for pain as he does that sort of stuff to.. He doesn't have any pain. I AMMM willing to take the time. But i dont think they are.. which is the sad thing, because i kill buyer might buy him because of his attitude.. I think its the saddle as well.. Under his tummy he has a white line and i think my own superstition. I think its a cinch sore. because its right where the cinch is and he is sorrel color all over.. so its not just a spot of white on him.. I really dont wanna give up on him though..

As hard as it is, I would read that thread Jumper posted sometimes it is better to just move on. It may be better for both of you, and safer. Especially if noone around you is willing to help, it could take LOTS of money, time and searching to find a trainer willing to help. We've all had to let go of that "one" horse and as heartbreaking as it can be and as helpless as you may feel sometimes its for the best.

barrelbeginner 07-25-2012 12:38 PM

yeah maybe, but maybe not. I mean i cant get another horse, but even if i just do some ground work to get him some manners he has a slight better chance somewhere else..

Cinnys Whinny 07-25-2012 12:50 PM

I think this horse has way too much "baggage" and since he was a rescue, you don't even know what most of it is. There is a LOT going on in that pea brain of his, and it's not nice. He is dominant, aggressive and has somewhere learned that humans are not his friends and are not to be trusted. He is already showing that everything will be on his terms and his terms only. This is not something easily fixed, in fact it may NEVER be fixed. The sad part is, that he is obviously also a danger to himself. This makes the situation even worse.

We all have watched movies where bad horses turn good because that magic perfect person comes along and everything changes. But it's not the real world. Yes, many many horses can have their psychological problems fixed, but there are also some that can not. Frankly, I think this is one of those horses. There is just way too much there.

And that nuzzling, loving thing you described where he insists on getting your attention... it's not cute, it's his way of showing his is dominant over you and that HE is controlling the situation. Humans have to show that THEY are the alpha horse by behaving like one. Which means, YOU control when the attention is given out, YOU control the food, YOU control the water. By forcing you to give him attention, he is dominating you and showing that he is in control.

churumbeque 07-25-2012 01:14 PM

This isn't a horse that I would waste my time on. There are plenty of others around. One thing you might try is put a suricingle on him and put him in the round pen and if he has a reaction to that my bet is he has a pinched sacrial nerve and is in pain.

barrelbeginner 07-25-2012 01:15 PM

suricingle??

Cinnys Whinny 07-25-2012 01:27 PM

There is a good example with picture hereLunge Surcingle

IT's the band that goes around the girth and has hardware to attach reins etc too. Used for many different training purposes.