The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   does it ever get old? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/does-ever-get-old-132262/)

ShelbyLovesHorses 07-25-2012 05:17 PM

does it ever get old?

I was just thinking about this and was wondering what others thought..
As a beginner just getting on a horse is exciting and a big deal, then you learn to trot and it feels so FAST and crazy, then you canter, jump, gallop, then do all of those bareback.. but after that does it ever become not exciting anymore? im still at the point that cantering is awesome and a thrill, and I hope I always love riding like I do now.. but has anyone ever just thought "wow this gallop down a hill is super boring"? lol i know thats extreme but you know what i mean.

Roperchick 07-25-2012 05:19 PM

i can tell you true...it never gets old for me...
i just got to ride for the first time in over 7 months and even just the familiar motion of settling down into the saddle was amazing.

only thing that is old and i really dont miss....being sore after riding for over 4 hours and not having ridden for 7 months....haha

oh vair oh 07-25-2012 05:19 PM

I think people plateau, and that can be hard. Just like any learning or skill-based activity, you grow and plateau and grow and plateau. Those plateaus can be very frustrating. But pushing through and not giving up shows whether or not you'll have the dedication. If you get discouraged by these plateaus, riding will get old fast.

barrelbeginner 07-25-2012 05:21 PM

first of all.. you should NEVER gallop down a hill.. my farriers horse went crazy and tried to do that and flipped over her self knocking her out.. and she landed on top of him.. and he was like trapped under a horse........

and to me.. sometimes it does.. but that is because i HAVE to ride everyday.. for like 3 hours for my job and then 4 ish hours maybe on my 2 horses... but its always fun when your teaching the horses something.. and thing about it.. if your bored.////// so is your horse..

Tianimalz 07-25-2012 05:25 PM

If you're born with the love for horses, I don't think it ever gets old. I've always adored them (more so than all the other animals I love and care for), and so far I'm 6 years into caring and riding them and 3, almost 4 years into owning one, it has yet to get old. Every day I look outside, see my mare and I just smile and sigh over a cup of coffee. Even if I don't ride that day, the very sight of my mare makes me feel warm and happy inside.

That kind of happiness never gets old.

Speed Racer 07-25-2012 05:28 PM

I love my horses and enjoy being with them, but if I HAD to ride every single day, I'd probably get jaded.

I like going new places and discovering new trails. If I rode every stinkin' day, I'd be riding the same old places all the time. No thanks.

It's not just horses who can get bored with the same routine!

Copperhead 07-25-2012 05:28 PM

I get butterflies in my stomach when I drive the last turn before the barn :)

Failbhe 07-25-2012 05:41 PM

On a previous horse, it did got old. But that was because all the fun had been sucked out of riding - he was stubborn and mean and our personalities just did NOT work together. Riding turned into a chore. I kept him for way longer than I should because he was a gift from my uncle and I honestly questioned if I had somehow lost my love of horses.

Now it's a different story though! My mare is so responsive and willing to work, where that gelding had been like trying to ride a hay bale with a saddle on it. (Honestly a hay bale would have probably been more fun :P) She whinnies to me every single morning when I come to the gate and it makes me grin and say "Good morning, darlin'!" every time. I don't think riding her will ever get old. And if it does, she's so smart we'll just learn something else! :D

COWCHICK77 07-25-2012 06:20 PM

It never gets old for me!
Doing the same thing day in, day out, yes. Or constantly riding ****ters, yep. I get bored with riding in an arena for so long and dream of gathering thousnds of acres of cattle. And after gathering the same field I think tht loping circles wouldn't be that bad.

But I never get tired of that feeling of riding.

(Nothing wrong with galloping down a hill. If a horse busts in two from it, the saddle probably ran forward and pinched.)
Posted via Mobile Device

Janna 07-25-2012 06:25 PM

I never get the,exact Same feeling as the first time.
But cantering my boy, I stillget a stupid smile on my face