The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Roundbails & fat ponies... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/roundbails-fat-ponies-132289/)

Cowgirls Boots 07-25-2012 09:40 PM

Roundbails & fat ponies...

Yup, me again!

Well for the horses this winter we were thinking about getting Roundbails because it will be easier and I'd rather the horses have accessible hay 24/7. They are also pastured 24/7, 365. There will be 3 horses in the field as well. The two will be okay I think but my pony mare is a scavenger with hay. Literally she will eat it all until it's gone which kind of concerns me if we buy a round bail. I mean I may be wrong and she may not eat it all but at our old barn she would eat at the round bail for hours then graze alittle. Currently my horses aren't eating hay because they have a plentiful pasture but that is my upmost concern. I was thinking that I could always put a grazing muzzle on her but I feel bad doing so because she has one on now for half the day...

Also, I have a few hay suppliers but one of them only does square bales. They both hay Timothy Orchard, would it be totally bad to buy round bales from one supplier and squares from the other?
Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

PunksTank 07-25-2012 09:47 PM

Of course you can buy from two suppliers!! You have the right toshop for the product you need :P

As for your pony, most horses when they realize the food won't go away don't over eat. That being said it can be disastrous if they do. If they truly are overweight and over eating a grazing muzzle is important, or why not stall her at night?

Cowgirls Boots 07-25-2012 09:49 PM

I don't have a stall. She is on pasture turn out 24/7, 365. And with the different suppliers I didn't know if they could get sick even though it's the same hay but maybe the suppliers bail it different or I don't know...lol
Posted via Mobile Device

PunksTank 07-25-2012 10:11 PM

So long as the hay is quality, not moldy or overly dusty or anything it should be fine.

Cowgirls Boots 07-25-2012 11:07 PM

Bump!
Posted via Mobile Device

IslandWave 07-25-2012 11:22 PM

What we do with our easy keepers over the winter is get good quality round bales that have more grass hay than uber rich alfalfa hay in it. It keeps the horses warm by munching all day, but doesn't get them as obese.

boots 07-25-2012 11:29 PM

I hand fork hay off round bales twice a day to the horses being kept near the house. It's not bad. I have seen a couple injuries from horses figuring out ways to get hurt on bale feeders, but am equally intolerant of them wasting hay or becoming obese.

Cowgirls Boots 07-26-2012 05:46 AM

I wish I could fork hay off but it isn't really an option. The hay will be stored in a barn down the road so will be hard to bring hay up especially at 4 am. :/
Posted via Mobile Device

SueNH 07-26-2012 08:53 AM

I have a fat old pony mare and I feed round bales of mixed grass hay with no problems. The first bale of autumn goes fast but they slow down once they know I'll keep it coming.

My winters are very cold and wet so they need the hay to keep warm.

You could soak the pony's hay and give her a private pile to fill her up and then let her pick at the other. But if she is like my mare she will want the big bale all to herself. I put 2 rounds out at a time because she will attempt to claim the tastiest one for herself. But like I said this stops after the first round of hay.

Saddlebag 07-26-2012 09:06 AM

My preference is to set out two round bales at the same time as far apart and as far from the water as possible. They voluntarily move from bale to bale then to the water.