The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   How to win a WP class??? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/how-win-wp-class-13229/)

Horse_Chick 08-13-2008 12:46 AM

How to win a WP class???

Hi everyone,
like my other post lol

Does anyone have any tips on how to win a WP class???
Like......
1) What do the judges look for in the....
-walk
-jog
-lope
-back
-stop

2)Any tips for me???
Like......
-How should i sit
-where should i hold my reins

3)How long should i have my reins for a senior and a young horse

4)What are some things that up your score???

5)what are some things that lower your score???

Any tip would be great.
XX

Horse_Chick 08-20-2008 08:06 PM

c'mon guys.
Anyone???
Just any tips or anything about WP!!!

XX

Rubonsky 08-29-2008 02:29 PM

It is sooo detailed and it is a very long explanation on what judges look for in western pleasure that it is hard to even begin a short explanation. My best advice to you is to either purchase the "Judging Western Pleasure" videos from AQHA, which are actually used to train judges, or Tina Kaven has a great video which explains the "new look and rules" with great good and bad example horses in Strategies for Showing Western Pleasure. Here is the link to her website where you can find the video....that would be your best bet rather than someone trying to explain it....sorry.

http://www.kavenquarterhorses.com/index.cfm

bgood400 11-13-2008 09:28 PM

If your horse is really broke you should have your reins drapped. If not you need them semi-loose but you can still have easy contact with his mouth. In pleasure (this is AQHA rules and such) they dont want the tip of the horses ear to go below the wither, although the horses head needs to be down. The walk and jog need to be slow but true. The lope needs to be well balanced. The horse needs to keep its shoulders up and it helps to have them cary there hip slightly to the inside. At the lope the horse shouldnt be heavy on the forhand and should have a true flowing lope that is slow but still true to the gait. They are also looking for how well the horse uses its hindend, and drives up underneath of himself. the horse needs to keep its back up, if it hollows his back out the lope will not be very collected.

kershkova 11-17-2008 12:53 PM

Ok this is long ......................
for horses 6 and younger ride to handed keep your horse slow when the juge is not looking tug a little on the rigns to slow down and stop head moveing. Make sure your horse has a good head seat and listens to leg adds

TXHorseLaw 12-03-2008 05:54 PM

Focus on consistency, staying in the proper frame, and work on those transitions. They should be rock solid and non-eventful. And don't rush. I know it drives non Western Pleasure folks crazy, but don't be the first (or second or third) to respond to the announcer's instructions. If they say, "lope your horses," don't just push into the lope immediately. Take a second to ensure you have a good place on the rail with the previous horse aways ahead of you (especially if you're not super slow) and then get your horse in frame before you start loping. Keep calm, go slow and be intentional and smooth. Stay on the rail and don't go racing around the center. If you're passing horses, there is something wrong. Go home and work on it again before the next show. And have a friend video you at the show, and be sure they catch a little video of the winning horses too, so you can see the difference.

A good trainer will help you do all of this too. :)

Good luck and have fun!!