The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Would 8 miles be too much? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/would-8-miles-too-much-132296/)

EmilyJoy 07-25-2012 10:46 PM

Would 8 miles be too much?

Hello I have a question I would like to ask...

Could a regular Quarter horse that is of fairly good conformation and fitness travel 8 miles at a fast trot in one hour? As in 8miles per hour? Would that be too much to travel that distance, rest for an hour or two, and travel at the same gait back/or another 8-9miles?
Obviously 8 miles is hardly anything to travel for a horse, but can it travel that, at a fast trot slow canter to get the 8-9 miles per hour in?

Thanks!:-)

equiniphile 07-25-2012 10:49 PM

If the horse is in good condition, sure, he could. A trot is typically 8-10mph, so the speed wouldn't be the problem, he would just need to be conditioned for it.

EmilyJoy 07-25-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 1615770)
If the horse is in good condition, sure, he could. A trot is typically 8-10mph, so the speed wouldn't be the problem, he would just need to be conditioned for it.

Ok, another question, Could a horse canter that distance without taking a breather? I personally haven't a clue what the normal is for horses as in how long a fit horse can go at each gait for how long.

tinyliny 07-25-2012 10:53 PM

I always think of QH's as more of sprinters, or trail horses , but not long , nonstop trotters.

DoubleS 07-25-2012 10:53 PM

Yeah no reason why you shouldn't be able to! Just be aware of the heat (if it's hot in your area)..

My mom's a runner, and about once a week, she runs along side me riding Putts. We go 10-12 miles at a medium-paced trot. It's fun!

smrobs 07-25-2012 10:54 PM

^^Exactly (to Equiniphile's post). I wouldn't want to try it on a horse that had been turned out and not ridden for a few months because they would be out of shape and they might have problems.

However, if the horse is relatively fit, I don't see a problem with it. I'll often ride my horses for several hours at a trot/lope with only a little bit of walking in there and they do just fine.

Just remember to be aware of your horse. If he starts struggling, then slow it down. If he's going great guns with pep in his step, he could probably manage to go a bit faster for a while.

EmilyJoy 07-25-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1615776)
I always think of QH's as more of sprinters, or trail horses , but not long , nonstop trotters.

Hmm:think: I always thought that was what they where for.. You know miles and miles of fence line that ranchers needed checked.. And miles of work at a trot with a cattle herd...

At any rate our horse has a bouncy lazy trot.Something that needs working on, and he's getting a little chubby...

Yeah I pay attention to their breathing and pace. I just didn't know what normal fairly fit Quarter horses could take.

Thanks for the replies!

smrobs 07-25-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilyJoy (Post 1615775)
Ok, another question, Could a horse canter that distance without taking a breather? I personally haven't a clue what the normal is for horses as in how long a fit horse can go at each gait for how long.

My answer to how far they can go at a given gait is 'until they start to struggle a bit'. It greatly depends on the individual horse. I've ridden horses that, when fit, still couldn't lope for a solid hour without needing to slow down and cool off a bit. On the other hand, I've rode horses that I could ride at a lope for hours and they would barely be breathing hard. You just have to learn to read your horse, recognize how he feels and react to it.

EmilyJoy 07-25-2012 11:03 PM

Yup I know what you mean by that! Gotta pay attention to them! If they're huffing and puffing they need a little breather...

Copperhead 07-25-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilyJoy (Post 1615763)
Hello I have a question I would like to ask...

Could a regular Quarter horse that is of fairly good conformation and fitness travel 8 miles at a fast trot in one hour? As in 8miles per hour? Would that be too much to travel that distance, rest for an hour or two, and travel at the same gait back/or another 8-9miles?
Obviously 8 miles is hardly anything to travel for a horse, but can it travel that, at a fast trot slow canter to get the 8-9 miles per hour in?

Thanks!:-)

This question is strangely specific o_O