The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   When is it time to move on and sell the horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/when-time-move-sell-horse-132302/)

Black Beauty 94 07-26-2012 12:28 AM

When is it time to move on and sell the horse?

Hi Everyone,
I have been having alot of frustrations with my horse. I feel I have out-grown his abilities, but I love my horse very much.

I don't know when it is time to sell him or just suck up the things he can't do.

I feel if I sold him, I couldn't get over the fact that I did that, but if I keep him I am quite frustrated at this point.

Thank you

Drifting 07-26-2012 09:50 AM

You could always try to lease him out, that way you still had final say over him.

DancingArabian 07-26-2012 10:08 AM

Yep - see if you can lease him out. You don't even have to let him leave where you are now. The only thing to beware of is to be sure that if you HAD TO that you could afford both horses until a new leaser comes around should one leave.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 07-26-2012 10:09 AM

What are you asking of your horse that he can't do? Most horses can do some of everything but may not have the conformation to reach upper level in your chosen discipline.

Black Beauty 94 07-26-2012 11:16 AM

Thank you!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drifting (Post 1616296)
You could always try to lease him out, that way you still had final say over him.

Black Beauty 94 07-26-2012 11:17 AM

He is a TWH and he has a really hard time cantering. I just expect to do open shows with him and fair, nothing huge.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1616307)
What are you asking of your horse that he can't do? Most horses can do some of everything but may not have the conformation to reach upper level in your chosen discipline.

paintedpastures 07-26-2012 11:44 AM

The TWH I have known have had no trouble with canter.I think with proper training your horse can learn the canter:-)
Question really is it the horses lack of ability or Rider needing to learn how to train & ask him :-) Either way some help from a trainer would benefit you both:wink:.

DancingArabian 07-26-2012 12:10 PM

I've known a couple of gaited horses tha have had trouble cantering. Some lessons with someone experienced in gaited horses may help get him going. The TWH at my current place is one of them - she canters and is just legs and bodily hurtling herself. It looks like a foals canter but it started improving a lot once an experienced gaited horse person was on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Black Beauty 94 07-26-2012 09:43 PM

Thanks so much!!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 1616491)
I've known a couple of gaited horses tha have had trouble cantering. Some lessons with someone experienced in gaited horses may help get him going. The TWH at my current place is one of them - she canters and is just legs and bodily hurtling herself. It looks like a foals canter but it started improving a lot once an experienced gaited horse person was on it.
Posted via Mobile Device