The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Change in Diet

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Jaxley 
#1 ·
I'm looking into changing my mare's everyday diet. She's been in heavy training and conditioning for LTD endurance rides and show jumping. Possibly dressage and various other sports in the future. I've already had to up her hay to four fakes of alfalfa per day (1 flake = 7lbs). She is a hard keeper, just had her teeth done in February, due again in February. She's due to be wormed and will be on the 28th. 15.1hh and aprox 915lbs, would like her around the 950 mark.

I was wondering if there's a supplement, grain or concentrated feed I can give her to help her keep the weight on without having to up the hay anymore than it already is? Beet Pulp, BOSS and Rice Bran aren't options. Feed prices are VERY high right now. I'm hoping for something I can purchase online or at my local grocery store. Anyone have luck with vegetable oil? How about Senior or Junior (those are somewhat affordable)?

Currently she's on 4 flakes of alfalfa (grass hay, sadly, is not an option atm), 6TBS of paprika, 1 TBS Canola Oil, 4 TBS bread crumbs, flax garlic, and salt.

Let me know! Happy to answer any questions you may have.

#2 ·
ADM has a fat supplement called MoorGlo that's a combination of flax and rice bran. It's $27.95 for a 40# bag at my feed store, and I feed 2# a day. It has allowed me to cut back the amount of grain I feed considerably.

Senior feed can be a good option for weight gain.

ETA You can also feed more of the canola, or try BOSS.
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
Beet pulp, rice bran, and alfalfa are my go-tos for adding calories. Beet pulp prices are very reasonable in my area ($10 for 50 lbs) but if it's not in your area, I'd say oil is your next best bet. I don't feed it myself, but I've heard up people working up to 1 cup or more into their horse's diet, though you'd need to add something to mix it into- hay cubes or pellets would probably work well for that.

#8 ·
You need to add calories, not just fat.
I second the Moor-glo. You can also get ground flax, which is usually super cheap considering you only feed about a cup a day.
I would feed Moor-glo, flax and a complete mineral supplement. Add oil only if you need it. With a good mineral supplement you won't need the paprika or salt. You can also find hay cubes to up hay intake.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
Yes - the stable I board at gets in it 80# bags from the feed store.

You can also look at a company like Lakin Milling Company: Pelleted horse feed, Avondale, AZ to help you get a pellet you can top dress with flax, oil, etc.. I know lots of stables get a customized complete feed or Ration Balancer and I feed an RB custom blended for the area I live in.

#12 ·
Rice bran pellets work wonders form my very hard keeper OTTB. I finally got him to his ideal weight but suspected that the rice made him a little hot so I switched him to Kompeet. It's $175 for 2 month supply but I was able to take him off everything else so my feed bill was cut in half. It has also worked for his mental focus. good luck!

#14 ·
Hello All, sorry to dig up an old post however I am in Aistralia and use Kompeet so if you are interested please feel free to contact me, I love the stuff we joke that it's magic powder :) just send a txt or call and I'll see if I can help get some to you. :) 0423250315

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.