The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   What do you do with your ribbons? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/what-do-you-do-your-ribbons-132427/)

hflmusicislife 07-26-2012 08:50 PM

What do you do with your ribbons?

I have hundreds of show ribbons and no clue what to do with them. I've stopped picking them up at shows because half the time I end up throwing them out. I've heard of people making them into things, and I'm thinking I might try making a few into belts... I know you can donate them to therapeutic riding places etc. but all of mine have barn names on them so I don't think they'd take them. Any other ideas? I don't like cluttering up my walls with them but I feel horrible just chucking them!

oh vair oh 07-26-2012 09:26 PM

A lot of people make them into beautiful quilts!

Taffy Clayton 07-26-2012 09:46 PM

I feel it is beyond rude to the show producers, the barn and anyone else involved with the show to not pick up your ribbons.

sommsama09 07-26-2012 09:49 PM

It isnt Taffy, if you politely mention to them that you dont feel you need the ribbons, just say thank you, and they gladly keep them to use at other shows - it saves them money! All the times ive seen this done there is no nastyness.. they are thankful!

Taffy Clayton 07-26-2012 09:52 PM

Don't they hand them to you in the ring and you refuse?

Roperchick 07-26-2012 09:53 PM

i have 2 pillows, and a quilt made out of alot and then the rest are unceremoniously (def spelled that wrong) shoved into a box in my mothers cabinet....the only thing i pick up now is buckles and trophys haha and those are at the end of season banquets

sommsama09 07-26-2012 09:54 PM

I myself wouldnt refuse and yes they do hand them out in the ring but you jut say "Thank you, but would you mind if i let you keep it because im running out of room (without sounding like a snob)" they usually say thats lright and thank you - like i said less ribbons neded = more $$ for the clubs/show's savings.

Taffy Clayton 07-26-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sommsama09 (Post 1617465)
I myself wouldnt refuse and yes they do hand them out in the ring but you jut say "Thank you, but would you mind if i let you keep it because im running out of room (without sounding like a snob)" they usually say thats lright and thank you - like i said less ribbons neded = more $$ for the clubs/show's savings.

My mistake! Sorry Op I guess it is common practice.

DrumRunner 07-26-2012 09:57 PM

Most of the shows I show in you have to go get your ribbon from the announcers stand. They don't hand out ribbons in the arena for barrel races.. I also agree that it saves money for the people putting on the show..

A really neat idea that I'm thinking about doing is making a wreath out of my smaller ribbons.. I have a ton that I've collected throughout the years and they are just sitting in a box..It's a cute idea.. I love the quilt idea too though.

http://www.dailydanny.com/wp-content...890970c-pi.jpg

Ribbon wreath | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

sommsama09 07-26-2012 09:58 PM

I will never refuse a ribbon - maybe because i have never shown - always been the strapper... but this is just what i have seen people do. Any other peoples ideas? I love the buckles Roperchick - never seen them here though lol