The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Quarter Horse Halter class (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/quarter-horse-halter-class-132484/)

katie333 07-27-2012 11:40 AM

Quarter Horse Halter class

Is there anything about the quarter horse breed you must specifically do for halter classes? I am new to showing halter. Any tips?

oh vair oh 07-27-2012 11:56 AM

Well, you need a halter bred horse. And typically the horses are lunged for long periods of time in deep sand and fed high protein so they get that muscled look. If you are showing open shows with your horse, all you have to do is trot them around and square them up for the judge. Although if you are showing an AQHA breed show and your horse is not halter bred, I would stick to showmanship - or performance halter. Typically performance halter classes are for performance-bred horses. Love to see a picture of your horse.

The typical AQHA halter stallion type:

http://www.cnc-showhorses.com/cncima...lie_4_sale.jpg

katie333 07-27-2012 01:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thankyou! I'm thinking he's not quite cut out for halter, but i'll try showmanship with him! Here is a picture from an open showmanship show a couple weeks ago :-)

CLaPorte432 07-27-2012 01:30 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Well, hes not a quarter horse. He may have quarter breeding in him, but that color is not recognized by aqha. He could be paint, but if hes unregistered...hed be a grade pinto.

And he'll do much better in showmanship. Halter horses are...brick houses.

He could win over any judge with that sweet face though!
Posted via Mobile Device

Roperchick 07-27-2012 01:43 PM

depending on the size of show he may or may not do good in a halter class. AQHA doesnt allow that color but you could have him in APHA is hes registered or grade halter classes.
The typical halter horse is hugely muscled.
He would be more performance type. depending on what size of curcuit and what size of class he could do good if hes well defined and has good confo.
but i would stick to more showmanship than halter.

MrBeCharming 07-27-2012 02:41 PM

Actually AQHA do recognize crop out paints now. Which is a paint out of two quarter horse parents, ever since APHA made the rule that a registered paint has to have 1 paint parent, and wont register AQHA cropouts any more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Roperchick 07-27-2012 02:43 PM

reeeaaaaaally? hmmmm interesting....woulda been nice like 10 years ago when i was showing my friends horse. haha

MrBeCharming 07-27-2012 02:52 PM

I remember when cremellos were considered crop outs and wouldn't be accepted AQHA either! Glad that one changed!
Posted via Mobile Device

katie333 07-27-2012 04:31 PM

Thankyou everyone!

CLaPorte432 07-27-2012 05:32 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBeCharming (Post 1618487)
Actually AQHA do recognize crop out paints now. Which is a paint out of two quarter horse parents, ever since APHA made the rule that a registered paint has to have 1 paint parent, and wont register AQHA cropouts any more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, but tobiano is not recognized by AQHA. (Sorry, should have specified more in my original post)
Posted via Mobile Device