The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Hunter bump or something else? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/hunter-bump-something-else-132497/)

HeroMyOttb 07-27-2012 02:10 PM

Hunter bump or something else?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

My thoroughbred has developed what I believe is a hunter bump(?) on his the lower region of his back where the lumbar vertebra are. I'm not quite sure if that is truly a hunter bump so i'm curious to everyones opinions. I have also noticed that he does get sore in his lower back and hind end region a lot.

The first photo I have is where I first got him and it does not appear that there is a bump on his lower spine. (the first photo is him with a bridle on and head is up)

The next photo was taken a few days ago and if you look very closely there is a bump there. This bump is more prominent with his head up. (second photo is him eating grass with fly mask on

tinyliny 07-27-2012 02:48 PM

If you are to make any comparison, the two must be in roughly the same position; head up.

I don't see any thing to worry about at all.

FeatheredFeet 07-28-2012 01:14 PM

I actually see a hint of a roach, in both pics.

Lizzie

Cinnys Whinny 07-28-2012 01:18 PM

I see it slightly, but it looks to me like you might need to have a chiro take a look...I think he has a vertabrae out. If he's getting sore, that may be the case.

Allison Finch 07-28-2012 01:26 PM

I don't see much change, if any. He has a slightly roached back. This is not a roach I would worry about.
The head down position will tend to bring the back up, causing what you think is a bigger "bump". Try putting your head down without wanting to bend your back.

Speed Racer 07-28-2012 01:32 PM

Yep, very slight roach. No hunter's bump.

Cinnys Whinny 07-28-2012 01:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just want to be sure I am looking at the correct "bump." This is what I am seeing that is different that looks like it would be "sore" and may be "out."

Attachment 108113

Is the circled area, what you are talking about?

Allison Finch 07-28-2012 10:44 PM

Cinny, I think there is a dark "shadow/shading" mark that is deceiving. It makes it look like there is a bigger "bump" than I think is actually there. If you put your finger over the dark mark, you will see that the back is pretty flat.

MidsummerFable 07-29-2012 10:05 AM

What was circled in the picture is not the region by which a hunter's bump will be found.
What I do feel like I might be seeing (as it's hard to tell with the horse not being in the same position and the different lighting) is that in the 2nd photo there is muscle atrophy on his hind end, although in the 2nd picture he does look like he gained weight. Putting more muscle back onto his hind end will make that joint less prominent.

HeroMyOttb 04-24-2013 07:44 PM

The circled area is actually where the bump is. I can feel difference and see a different as well.. I have the vet coming out on monday an dill have take a look. I do this its a veterbrae thats out of place.