The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   I've had all the attitude I can handle!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/ive-had-all-attitude-i-can-1325/)

mommadog1956 03-27-2007 04:45 PM

I've had all the attitude I can handle!!!

TJ will be going bye-bye! we've had nothing but problems. new saddle didn't help. it seems that she just does not want to be ridden. on the ground work she is fabulous, works great, laterals are there. everything is about as perfect as it could get, ON THE GROUNDWORK!!! but get in the saddle and you better be ready.

several weeks ago i lunged her, was going great. saddled her up and lunged some more, still great. so i thought ah heck get in the saddle. i did and we walked around in our east pasture and then all of a sudden she took off like a bat out of hell running and bucking the whole way. i managed to get her turned before she ran through the fence, but then she threw me off. i landed so hard i thought my back/hip was broken. i couldn't get up, the neighbor saw the whole thing and came over to help. between the two of us we managed to get her caught and put away and me back to the house. i could barely walk for over a week!!!

we bought another horse and they have adjusted to each other very well, but lately TJ has turned into a devil. yesterday she attacked my momma lab that ALWAYS goes with me to feed the horses. she literally tried to stomp ebony to death. i'm not kidding!!! ebony managed to get away from her and she's ok, but will not go near the horse pen now. normal behaviour is ebony comes into the pen, tj goes over, sniffs and then nuzzles ebony for a few minutes. but not yest.

today the neighbor came to deliver a big round bale of hay and TJ managed to slip between his tractor and the corner post of the gate, and out she went. course danny (new horse) was right behind her. with the help of a couple of neighbors we finally got them caught and back in their pen. she has become very pushy and we are constantly pushing back. if we won't let her up next to us all the time, she will turn her butt to us as if to kick out. so we have to carry our "stick" with us to keep her distant, unless WE want her close. don't know if its the right thing to do or not, but i've started feeding danny first, and then her. hoping to displace her from being the alpha horse. her attitude needs to come down a notch. so our plan is to let the trainer ride her in the arena at the next sale, and let him handle all the details to find someone much more experienced and fearless, (than i) to buy her.

KANSAS_TWISTER 03-28-2007 02:56 AM

beaver okla sale should be comming up soon, no seruisley did she start this before or after danny showed up?

mommadog1956 03-28-2007 07:39 AM

yeah, and we have a sale coming up in two weeks here at kingman.

we just got Danny on the 10th of this month, so this has been going on long before Danny came.

its really strange how this has all happened. she went to the trainers for 5 weeks (in Oct/Nov) and then the day she came home, i actually rode her (alone) the 8 miles to our place. it was a near perfect ride.

then in january my friend, daughter and i went on a 14 mile ride together. TJ was perfect on that ride too. couldn't have asked for a better ride.

after that day is when it all starting going downhill, and as more time goes by, the worse it gets. the trainer can get on her and ride the piss out of her (in an arena), but no one else seems to be able to, so far.

if i had the land, time, initiative, and $$$, i would just turn her into a broodmare, cause she is from a really great bloodline.

sparky 03-28-2007 07:42 AM

that horse has some serious attitude.

sparky 03-28-2007 07:43 AM

that horse has some serious attitude. If you are to scared to ride her, and are carrying a stick with you in the paddock, i believe you are making the right choice, and hopefully she will go to a home with people that will work on her attitude.

Desert Rat 03-28-2007 03:39 PM

Sounds like this horse has it's bluff run you and knows just what it can get away with. And there is defenatly a personality clash. You would definatly be better off selling this animal before it really hirts you.

meggymoo 03-28-2007 03:47 PM

Hi, I agree with both Sparky and Desertrat. I know its hard, but sometimes its better to let them go. Especially when they are being so nasty.
Its the same with people you cant get along with everyone all of the time, and maybe he just isn;t the one for you. :(

I know you said he was good to ride before, have you checked for pain anywhere etc, pain can effect both mental state and physical, just a thought.
Hope you manage to sort something out, let us know how you get on.. :wink:

OpheliasWings 03-29-2007 03:12 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new to the group, but I thought that I would post a reply. My husband's aunt has been having similar issues with her mare. She's had the mare for about 6 months now I guess. She was rescued with another mare that we had gotten from a feed lot and we ended up trading the mare we got for the babies we have now, because she was out of control and we couldn't handle her. At the time she was the alpha in the group and it was only the two of them. Since she's left, Roanie, the mare in question has done some similar things. She's not trained to ride currently, but she has shown some serious attitude issues. We had her in the same pasture with the babies and she's run them all over, kicked and bitten the stud colt to the point of ripping away hair and causing some nasty cuts. She has also kicked my husbands aunt twice within the last month, the second time actually knocking her down. She has charged and kicked his grandparents dog where we are boarding the horses and she ran down his 5 year old nephew, luckily we were down there to stop her from hurting him. So needless to say she's had to be pastured by herself. They are sending her to a trainer this weekend and if that doesn't solve the issue they are going to sell her. So who really knows what sets them off, but I have to agree if the animal is dangerous, no matter how much you care for them sometimes it's better to let them go to someone with more experience with hard headed horses.

Hope everything works out for you.

Take Care,
Sonseria

mommadog1956 04-03-2007 09:32 AM

hubby talked to the breeder, where she originally came from, last nite and he is seriously interested in getting her back. they will talk again tonite.

when we bought her there were some problems with her registration papers and they helped us out. at the time they were wanting her back and had been looking for her. said if we ever needed to get rid of her, to let them know first. so we have.

at least this way, i know where she would be going and what they are going to do with her. she will be safe and well cared for there. even if they can't ever ride her, she will be a good broodmare for them. they had her mom till she died, and they have a full sister still.

meggymoo 04-03-2007 09:36 AM

Aww Mommadog, that is good news, if you know that she will be going to someone, where you know they will look after her.

I know its been a hard decision, but your doing the right thing! :wink:

Keep us posted! :wink: