The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Pelvic injury from foaling mistaken for EPM (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/pelvic-injury-foaling-mistaken-epm-132536/)

tcfarm 07-27-2012 08:52 PM

Pelvic injury from foaling mistaken for EPM

Well had some big ups and downs today. I get to the barn this AM and Cider is down. She had tried to get back up but was too weak to get up. The vet came down and gave her a few shots to get her up. As she was laying on the ground he poked her with the needle and she had no feeling in both legs. I was scared to death we where looking at putting her down. After all the shots she was given she did get back on her feet but she was very wobbly. I got my meds from the dr and watched her. My barn owner came and talked to me and we agreed time to talk to a new vet. We called a big time older vet to come out and look at her. In 5 min he told me her pelvic is twisted from having a huge baby and it is pinching her nerves and causing her to not feel her hind legs. I asked him about the EPM and he said she dosn't have EPM. He then gave her fluids demso and acupuntre with vit B-12. By the time her left she could feel the needle prick on her back legs. She is walk better tonight and I am going to video tape her tomarrow to show everyone what she looks like. Thank you everyone my wishes are answered.

Roperchick 07-27-2012 08:54 PM

wow. talk about misdiagnosing! glad shes doing okay and will be getting better!

tinyliny 07-27-2012 09:02 PM

that is bizarre.

tcfarm 07-27-2012 09:15 PM

The first vet that took care of her after the foal never even looked at her like this vet. I even told him how weak she looked after April was born. He did say April looked like a 2mo foal and was just as strong as one. Now most people think she is 6 or 7mo and she will be 4mo Aug 1st.

farmpony84 07-27-2012 09:50 PM

I've learned over the years that some vets are unbeatable when it comes to shots and stitches but diagnosing issues and treating major injuries is just not their thing. I'm glad you got a second opinion. I'm glad it's not EPM. Is it fixeable?

Army wife 07-27-2012 10:22 PM

Subbing. I know a mare who foaled and us having some what similar problems
Posted via Mobile Device

churumbeque 07-27-2012 10:42 PM

So the foal was born a few months ago but the mare is just now having problems?
Who knows what caused it. At least you have improvement.

tcfarm 07-27-2012 11:52 PM

April was born April 1st but I noticed this from the day she had the foal. Infact she was wobbly just before foaling. I have had 2 vets look at her one said nothing at all about it then one tested for the EPM got a positive out of it but this was blood work nothing more. Now this vet even showed me on her body how her his are tilted. He thinks in 3 weeks to do another acupuncture and see how she looks. Right now it is inflamed and she just needs time to heal she is out no stall for 2-3 weeks. I could alredy tell in her eyes that she was feeling better. Also the barn worker told me she was talking more tonight to the other horses and she looked to be walking better too. I am leaveing early in the am to go to her and will be with her all day. I was so scared I was going to loose her today.

HagonNag 07-29-2012 11:52 AM

Reminder to self: All vets are not created equal.

ETA: What do you call the Dr. who graduated last in his medical school? Answer: Doctor.

tcfarm 07-30-2012 10:00 AM

here are some very bad videos she kept trying to follow me. So that is another wonderful sign things are working. Also it is a cheap cam. I hope to get better soon. She will have more treatments this is not the last of it but she does look better. After the first DR left she still looked like she could go down any min. The 2nd said a horse with EPM can not switch the tail. She can also back up better going up hill and down hill than on a flat ground.