The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Jobs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/)
-   -   Stable Jobs outside of Mt. Clemens or Detroit Michigan (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/stable-jobs-outside-mt-clemens-detroit-132545/)

Salila 07-27-2012 10:50 PM

Stable Jobs outside of Mt. Clemens or Detroit Michigan

I'm looking for a job in a barn near Mt. Clemens, MI, which is just north of Detroit. At least within an hour's drive of there. I'm planning on moving to be closer to my partner, and would really like to work in a barn rather than having to transfer to a Wal-Mart up there (because I do not enjoy Wal-mart.)

Anyway, I would prefer live in and I do have a horse, so you know, he has to come too. :)

I would really like a job as an assistant manager, or, if the barn is a small boarding stable, that doesn't deal in showing much, I could handle actually managing. I have almost 8 years of horse experience and have worked in a small private barn and a 20-ish horse natural horsemanship boarding facility as a hand.

I have experience with basic first aid and handling young horses, trained my own boy and now we're taking dressage lessons. (This is a point I'm very proud of.) I've worked with one rescue and handled some OTTB's and a few warmbloods. I've also handled several draft horses.

I've done a lot of research in my own time on stable management, (I seriously read the BHS Complete Guide to Stable Management cover to cover in about a week) equine and rider fitness, herbal/holistic care and healing for horses, (and people) and nutrition.

I really hope someone is looking for an assistant manager on here or at least knows someone they could point me to.

PS: I can come for an interview. It might take me a two or three weeks to get the money to come, but I would come for an interview, no expense to you. And I don't need assistance with moving, either, except for -maybe- with moving the horse. But that is only a maybe.

Thanks in advance!

IslandWave 07-27-2012 11:04 PM

Have you looked at Yardandgroom.com?

Another good idea is to go the local barns and ask around, get a feel for the horsey part of town. You can also put up flyers and get the word out at feed/tack stores.

Salila 07-27-2012 11:13 PM

I have looked on yardandgroom and contacted the one possibility (the others were internships or looking for something I couldn't offer) and have not heard back.
I don't have the opportunity to visit barns yet, or put ads in the tack/feed shops up there because I live in SW Ohio currently.

Actually, I've also placed ads in Craigslist and on whinny.org. Craigslist is depressing though when I get home to find 9 emails regarding my posts in my inbox... and all of them are spam. :(

IslandWave 07-27-2012 11:46 PM

Really your best bet would be to have a connection with some horse people in the area who can tell you where to go and even where to avoid. Maybe put out feelers on The Chronicle of the Horse forum? They have many members from all over the world, just like here.

boots 07-28-2012 12:43 AM

Any chance that the people you have worked for would know someone? Or the vets they used would know someone in that area?

Otherwise, what about trying for the transfer and looking once you get up there?

Salila 07-28-2012 01:40 AM

I doubt it. lol Everyone I've worked for has been hermits, and I never met any of their vets.

But yeah, that's my plan B, but I can't properly transfer for another 3 and a half months or so, since I haven't been at the Wal-mart here long enough yet. I was just hoping to find something better so I'm scouring the internet as much as I can.