The Horse Forum banner

Mountain Lion?!?!? What to do?

14K views 69 replies 33 participants last post by  TrailheadSupply 
#1 ·
I don't often post, so pardon my randomness!

Originally I'm from outside of D.C., where the largest predators I've dealt with are cute red foxes. Last summer, my husband and I moved to Los Angeles, where I promptly found an amazing horse to lease (why won't they sell her!?!) near the Los Angeles National Forest.

Though I knew there was the possibility of Mountain Lions, I figured/hoped I would not run into one.

So, recently, when Playday (the Wonder Horse) and I were trotting along the trail home and I spotted a large animal standing in the middle of the trail ahead I thought it was the Coyote of Unusual Size we had met earlier. Then I noticed it moved like a cat. 'Bobcat' I thought hopefully. I'd heard those sometimes made an appearance.

Then, it turned sideways. Long, twitching tail. Very Big. I almost had a heart attack. I didn't know what to do! Playday didn't seem to realize the danger...we were on the part of the trail where we often canter and she wanted to get to stepping. So. I ended up following the lion.

It would walk, we would walk. It would stop and contemplate us. I would debate the merits of running away or running toward it while trying to remember what Laura Ingalls Wilder's dad did when encountering panthers on horseback. Playday would jig, desperate for a nice canter.

We did this for quite a while. Until finally it veered off up the mountain. I waited a minute...then scurried past. And saw it looking at us as it rubbed its face happily on a tree like a house cat would your leg.

So. My question is this:

I now know it was wise not to run away....but what do I do? Some have said to yell, some have said to make myself big, some have said to turn around and walk calmly away. I've also heard I should have just veered off and trailblazed myself to to a nearby creek, then ridden down said creek until it crossed over the trail I had originally been on.

I am not likely to do the last suggestion. Way too much Poison Oak and potential for snakes. Unless that's really the safest?

Anyway, I'm hoping those with way more scary-exciting-yet-heart-stopping predator encounter experience can advise.

OH! Also, lately there's been a lot of bear sightings on the news, and I've heard it's possible I may run into those as well....what do I do then?

See less See more
#2 ·
Most wild animals are no threat and afraid of you, just making a lot of noise will scare those off. Sounds like you ran into a cat that's not very afraid of people and that's not a good thing. Once predators lose fear of man, man becomes food. There are several non lethal things you can carry for bears and cats but unfortunately if not used right they can pretty darn dangerous for riders but then firing a gun from the back of an untrained horse is pretty darn dangerous too.

I would report your encounter to game and wildlife management. If the cat is a problem they can safely remove it. If it was me, I would be packing for protection too.

#3 · (Edited)
I'm less worried about meeting mtn lion when horseback than when on foot. On horseback, and I have seen them, I roar (vocally) and charge my horse at them a few steps. Stop. And they have always left.

On foot, I frequently look back. Lion come up from behind. I also always carry a handgun for several reasons. One being in case of lion attack. Another being in case I fall off and land in some rocky, hidden draw and need help I would be able to signal.

Once, when my youngest was 8 years old, she went running up the hill in our back yard. I stood at the back door, smiling, enjoying seeing her so happy. A movement caught my eye further up the hill. She was running right toward a mtn. lion! I had taught my children that if I yelled to go to the house or car, to do it, and I'd explain later. I yelled for her to go to the house, grabbed a baseball bat that was near the door, and went running, waving my arms and bellowing up the hill. The mountain lion, crouched lower, then turned while staying almost flat in the brush, and ran off.

If I hadn't been watching her...

Once predators lose fear of man, man becomes food.
Unarmed and on foot, we are not at the top of the food chain.

#4 ·
First of all. Congratulation on actually seeing one in the wild. Very few people have this priviledge.

Cougars, like most cats are curious and they will often sneek up on things they are not sure about and just watch. I guess trying to decide if you could be a meal. Running away definitely spurs the chase instinct. So don't run.

Usually becoming as big as possible. making loud noise. firing a gun, compressed air horns etc will send them running. They are not brave animals when dealing with things they are unsure of.

If your cat was in no hurry to leave, I probably would have tried to choose an alternate route that did not follow the cat.

Bears are another matter. Especially the big bears. Most black bears will flee. But the grizzlies are much closer to the top of the food chain and have little fear. Again running will stir the chase instinct. So you are better off to stay put.

Always make sure you are giving the wild animal an outlet. Don't block off it's escape route. Whether it's a rattle snake, cougar or bear, They will usually just leave rather than fight.

#6 · (Edited)
Since the OP is in California, I'll point out that packing a gun isn't a very viable option. Getting a concealed permit is very difficult in many parts of California, and open carry of a handgun - even if it is unloaded - is illegal in many parts as well.

CaliforniaOpenCarry.org - FAQ

I think the OP did about as well as a person could do, under the circumstances. I would report it, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for someone to do anything.

I might consider carrying pepper spray. It would be helpful against the two legged wild animals as well.

#7 ·
Is there a way you can desensatize the horse to an airhorn? That'll be loud enough to scare an unwanted animal away. Especially if you cant carry a gun to protect yourself.
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
The best thing to do is prevent an encounter by making sure they hear you coming. We have hundreds of black bear around us and have yet to see one while riding or hiking. Yell "HEY BEAR!!!" every mile and wear a bear bell.
"sneaking" up on one is the worst thing and Heaven forbid the bear or lion has cubs with her.

We carry guns for last minuet protection, only to be used if we are physically attacked. If charged we would stand our ground and retreat slowely, making ourselves loud and as big looking as possible. Spray wouldn't be a bad idea for you, but I'd only use it after you've practiced handling it, and probably only if you've been thrown. A blinded scared horse is a dangerous useless one in that kind of situation!
I've been charged on foot by moose and bear when I worked in Yellowstone, so it does work. On horse not yet, but again we talk and yell and do everything possible to prevent an encounter.

Kudos to your mare!! And you for keeping your cool.
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
One more thing... Most prey animals will do the same as you did in the wild. If they find or sense a predator they follow it and track it from afar, making sure it's in front of them, not behind. The Lion knew his gig was up so he's more likely to keep doing his thing and not mess with you.

#12 ·
Everyone has given great advice. I have seen a couple lions here (The mountains of Oregon) once on horseback, but mainly during deer/elk season when I'm hunting. Trust me, they will always see you first, an they are the only animal in the woods that scare the hell out of me.

I always trail ride with my pistol around my hip and my small knife in my pocket and larger knife on my saddle. I don't ride with pepper spray because I am more comfortable with a gun, but if guns aren't your thing and your horse wouldn't stand to be shot off of, I would go get some spray.

Reactions: gtmochi
#13 ·
Eclipse. Just what zoom the little Kodak point and shoot digital camera has. we were not very far away as we had a gang of dogs chasing that cat. And we were right there pulling the dogs away from the base of the tree.

This brings up another issue. California does allow hunters to chase cougars with dogs. We almost never kill the cats we chase. But the fact that we do chase them helps the Cougars keep a healthy respect for avoiding man. Cougars in California, never get chased and hence have become more accustomed to being around people.

#14 · (Edited)
Thank you SO much, everyone, for your awesome advice...I'm sorry I've taken so long - we've had guests in from out of town and I totally underestimated my ability to get on a computer.

That said, @Boots, OMG. How brave and cool headed a response when you saw your child come so close to danger? Wow. I got chills just reading your story.

@Darrin - When I got back to the barn I promptly told the barn owner who said they'd spread the word a lion had been spotted so close...I don't know if that includes Game and Wildlife Management. But I will check. And you're right - my lion seemed totally unruffled. Also, I totally agree about the gun thing - not only am I only familiar with the water-pistol variety, but I suspect that Playday (accustomed as she to craziness from her former life harness racing ) would not respond well. I'd probably end up saving the cat the trouble of having to work for it's meal!

@Paintedhorse - You are so right. Seeing the lion in the wild was exhilarating...its shoulders moving in the sunlight was a sight I'll never forget. Even though I was choking on fear at the same time! If I'd seen one up in a tree like in the INCREDIBLE picture you shared, I'd have froze. In fact, it didn't even occur to me one could be in a tree. Which is kind of embarrassing (OF COURSE they'd be up a tree! Wasn't that how it went down in Little House on the Prairie?). I'll be a bit less bold charging up the trail next time, proud of myself for scanning the undergrowth for cats. I'll have to include the trees now too! Also, why won't California chase cougars? It seems like a sensible thing if it makes them more wary of humans...

@BSMS, I'm actually glad to hear about the gun permit situation, since that makes it officially not an option! I really wouldn't feel comfortable carrying a gun at all. But pepper spray...that's something I'm more familiar with.

@Flygap - Thank you! Playday is pretty awesome. If you can believe it, she's only 4! I can only imagine what a steady girl she'll be when she's older. As for me, I surprised myself. I thought for sure if I ever encountered one I'd not be able to control my fear. It's kind of a relief to know that I kind-of-sort-of did the right thing...and thank you for the pepper spray tip. Self-injury is my concern with any weapon. But I'd feel better with a last resort like pepper spray - I ride out alone a lot.

@Sorrelhorse- Thank you!

@Celeste - It was! :) I suspect that since you're in Georgia you're like me and large predators are something that have only been seen at the zoo!

#15 ·
Nifty thing called a scabbard.
You can put a pump shotgun or a lever action rifle in it, and it's readily accessible if ol' shiny eyes pokes it's head out at you again.
Even if used as anoisemaker, if things start going south, you still have the lethal option, as a last resort.

#16 ·
gtmochi, I would be very very careful with pepper spray. If the wind blows wrong your horse will get a dose and that will save a cougar the trouble of chasing you down, and you come with seasoning already applied. Pepper spray is not something you can train your horse to accept I believe.

For non lethal your best bet would be an air horn. You can work with your mare (she's really only 4 with that attitude?) to stay calm when used. Start with something fairly quiet, like a whistle and go up from there in decibels.

I'm not sure of CA laws on hunting cat but just up north in Oregon it has been illegal to use dogs for hunting cat for some years now. There is also laws against harrasing game so cats up here basically are not hunted. They've lost their fear of man and are slowly becoming more of a problem. Interestingly, the official state hunter for Oregon is allowed to use dogs to nab troublesome cats. What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander it seems.

#18 ·
Thanks Darrin! Now I think maybe the air horn is the safest for me since I can work with Playday to get used to it. I always feel that I'm safer mounted, and the last thing I want to do is make myself a spicy treat for an alarmingly large predator.

The whole dog/no dog cougar hunting sounds like a huge double standard...if the cats aren't being hurt and it helps keep them wary of people, it seems a win-win for everyone? Although admittedly my knowledge about hunting and things related is lacking. Unless it involves fox hunting. Which in the few rides I've done did not actually involve a fox. So really, I guess my hunting IQ = 0.

Meanwhile, I can't resist gushing - isn't it amazing she's only 4?? Lucky for me she didn't make it as a harness racer (she clips her front L with her back R and wasn't quite fast enough) so her owners brought her home from the track in Sacramento as a riding horse. She's a total pro when comes to almost any kind of potential scary moment: fire trucks, large groups of bikers, plastic bags, rogue beer cans clattering out of no-where, 4 wheelers, assorted animals including yaks but excluding sheep....still can't figure out that one. Large groups of them give her the willies!

Thanks again for your (and everyone's) advice. I knew you all would have great knowledge and experience to share!

#17 ·
First of all, I would not go out on those trails alone anymore.

Wear the bell. It might help. Though cats tend to follow you, and watch you and maybe staulk you, so warning them may not do anything.

On horse back, spraying pepper spray might only bring a cloud of it back in your own or horse's eyes.

If you had a rope and your horse could tolerate you swinging it off of her, then you might swing it and yell at the cat.

Otherwise, given all, I think you did well and made the best choices.

#20 ·
Though cats tend to follow you, and watch you and maybe staulk you, so warning them may not do anything.

This terrifies me. I have resisted not going on this trail anymore. Such great hills for working on her bum and my balance, and so cool when the southern trails are hot. Not to mention that my riding times are when everyone else is working (I freelance from home).

Something to seriously consider. Thinking about it following us gives me the shivers.

#23 ·
There sure have been a lot of cougar, bobcat, and coyote sightings lately across the map o.o makes you wonder.

Be careful out there OP!

#24 ·
Pepper spray & horses...the pepper spray is not for warning the cougar away. Get some pepper spray in your horse's eyes, and you would be worse off than before. My thought was that the pepper spray was a last resort if the cougar decided to attack. I did read an account once of a woman around 1820 being pulled off her horse by a cougar...she survived and boasted about the scars, but I think most of us would prefer not to try that.

Happily, I live in a place where I can carry a gun. However, none of my horses have been trained to shoot off of, so a 357 would be a weapon of last resort for me as well. I tell folks that with the Mexican border just 60 miles south, I'd need to point my horse north before firing because I don't carry a passport with me.:wink:

I doubt many cougars would try to pull a human off a horse. If the horse doesn't bolt, then a horse & rider just doesn't look like very good prey for a cougar. But if my horse bolted & I came off, or the cougar DID attack me on horseback, I'd like some other option than harsh language. In Arizona, it would be my buddies Mr Smith & Mr Wesson. In California, I guess I'd have to hope the cougar hadn't developed a taste for chili...

#25 ·
First of all. Don't give up riding that trail. Cougars have a very large territory that they prowl. He could be in the next county over and not return to this area for months.

Even if he does return, He didn't threaten you the first encounter and chances are he won't on a second. He is just curious. Don't trigger the chase instinct and all will most likely be fine. I hunt in areas where I know cougars live. I see their tracks, I see their kills that they have been feeding on, But rarely do I ever see them. Seeing a cougar in the wild is a very rare experience for most people. You have a much greater chance of getting hurt in a traffic accident on your home than getting mauled by a cougar. But you have not stopped driving.

Teaching a horse to handle a sudden noise is not difficult. I teach my horses to deal with gun shots by having a friend hold them and I fire the first few shots 10-15 feet away. Aim the gun away from the horse to minimize the loudness. The first time or two, the horse may spook and jump around, by 5 or 6 shots, they get used to it and calm down, Move closer and repeat until you can shoot out of the saddle. Look at the Cowboy Mounted Shooting. Those guys run a course and shoot 10 balloons at a full run and horses don't miss a beat. Same goes for the air horn. Just teach the horse to spook in place.

You can thank PETA and similar organizations for the no dogs chasing cougar/bear laws. Cougars are so secretative that it's almost impossible to find them, let alone catch them with out the use of dogs.

#26 ·
It's a relief to hear that! I'd hate to not ride on this trail solo anymore. I love it - and so does Playday! Knowing the lion may not be back from months and the likely hood of it's return at the same time I'm on the trail is slim is comforting.

I'll be googling Cowboy Mounted Shooting now! I've never heard of it but it sounds awesome!

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond. I feel much better about my options for keeping us safe on the trail!

#27 ·
California has some strict carry laws, but as the old saying goes, "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6".

One of my goals is to get my horse used to gun fire. I don't really want to compete, but if I did, Cowboy action shooting would be my event.

Think we'll ever get it to be an Olympic event?

#29 ·
California has some strict carry laws, but as the old saying goes, "I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6".
I hear you on that. I recently made the decision to invest in a handgun for the trail, more for hiking with my dog but also when I'm riding up here. There are some areas in the national forest where it's legal to carry openly, but I don't want to freak anyone out.

#28 ·
I live in the middle of the Angeles National Forest, I'm guessing the OP was referring to this. I'm just coming back to riding after many years away but I hike the forest every day with my dog. Bears are a fact of life up here but I have never had an encounter. The only time I spotted one I was rather far away. Believe me, I stayed that way! There are some bear-human fatalities, but every time that happened because the bear found human picnic food and the humans tried to fight them off. Hello?! Mt. lions are rarely a problem because they are so secretive. It's not like they're prowling around presenting themselves as a target for dog packs. Recently a mt. lion started jumping fences around here and killing dogs (Wrightwood CA) so she was hunted and killed, but that is extremely rare behavior for them.

#30 ·
That's exactly where I am...my barn is in Lakeview Terrace. Out the back gate is a wash that I can ride south to the Hansen Dam and north to National Forest, which is where I saw the Lion...it was within shouting distance of a very nice stable up the road, Middle C. Lately we've been hearing about bears too, but ever since seeing the lion I've been on high alert! But after reading everyone's responses I'm feeling better about what I can do if I ever encounter one again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.