The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Liberty is afraid (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/liberty-afraid-132550/)

Micah 07-27-2012 10:33 PM

Liberty is afraid

My 9 year old gelding Liberty has always sort of been a "brat". He's always had a bad attitude, bucked, and napped on me whenever possible. However, he is always as sweet as can be on the ground. I have had him since birth as well as his brother and father and have trained all three of them and he is the only one that acts like this.

When recently speaking with a mentor, she asked if maybe he was afraid and lashing out or if he was in pain. I have no clue since he only does this to me. Several other people have ridden him and had no problem and report him as sweet and well mannered. She thought that he could be in pain and only showing me because I'm his "mom".

I'm completely at a loss here as to why he lashes out at me but no one else and if anyone has any suggestions of potential places he could be in pain that would cause this behavior.

Thank you so much!

loosie 07-27-2012 11:40 PM

Hi,

My first thought when I started reading this was pain - bucking & such very often is. So I'd want to rule that out/treat it. However, when you say he only does it to you - I assume he has a number of riders then? - that sounds like it's an attitude problem with you, unless perhaps you're heavier than other riders &/or ride him in a different saddle &/or are a 'bumpy' rider or rough with the reins & other aids for eg.

Without more info, who knows the cause of pain or other reasons for his behaviour. Back & saddle fit, neck, mouth & hoof problems are common reasons for pain when ridden, but not the only ones.

Micah 07-28-2012 04:56 AM

I'm actually lighter than the other riders and I do more leg cues usually. The vet is coming next weekend so I'll be sure to post if she finds something.
And all his riders have used the same saddle and bridle. I'm just at a loss as to why Im the target. I have his brother and father and trained both but he just fights every thing. Maybe our personalities just clash...
Posted via Mobile Device

usandpets 07-28-2012 05:27 AM

How do you correct his bad behavior? Is it different than the others do? The first thing that I thought was disrespect. Especially since he didn't act up with others. I think he doesn't see you as a leader but does to the others.
Posted via Mobile Device

Palomine 07-28-2012 12:30 PM

Is your voice higher pitched than theirs is? Try lowering it and horse may just have figured out doesn't have to view you as anything but nuisance too.

Micah 07-28-2012 12:33 PM

The others don't have to correct bad behavior if he isn't bad for them. I am the trainer. The others are just people who ride him for lessons. Yes. My voice is higher. I'm the only woman who rides him. The others are males. I never thought about that. Thank you everyone for your thoughts
Posted via Mobile Device

loosie 07-28-2012 09:29 PM

If the others all go for lessons, perhaps you're the only one that really asks much of him? If you can ride it out, I'd be making it very unpleasant for him while he's bucking if poss & making sure to reinforce & reward all the 'good'(even just the everything but bucking) behaviour as much as possible.

Micah 07-29-2012 09:20 AM

That makes sense. I am the only one who pushes him and he may be slightly frightened. I'll try a couple simple sessions followed by a little harder one and back and forth. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

usandpets 07-29-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micah (Post 1620754)
That makes sense. I am the only one who pushes him and he may be slightly frightened. I'll try a couple simple sessions followed by a little harder one and back and forth. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

I think you have right there. If you are the only one that pushes him, he's acting out because he doesn't like it. I really don't think he's afraid. He's just giving you attitude. Some horses you can push and they're fine with it. Some will fight it. Those you might have to push them farther past their attitude before they quit. Just be careful.
Posted via Mobile Device

loosie 07-29-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usandpets (Post 1620771)
I really don't think he's afraid. He's just giving you attitude.

I think that is very possible, but without even knowing what the OP does, I don't get how you'd come to the conclusion that he's not afraid & it's 'just attitude' from so little info??