The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Which breed for my next horse??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/breed-my-next-horse-132563/)

shaggy 07-28-2012 02:18 AM

Which breed for my next horse???

So I'm on the hunt for a new horse since I've decided to semi-retired my 21 yr old morgan gelding Blaze. I've been trying to decide on what breed to get next. I defiantly want that can be an all rounder as well as a jumper. Basically
i'm leaning toward 3 breeds at the moment well 4 if I decided to get another morgan. I'm been wanting to put a pros and cons list together and I was hoping you guys might help me!

So breed 1: A Quarter Horse. Very versatile breed (my cousin has a QH/warmblood cross and he's amazing ride!)Con: not knowing if the horse as Impressive bloodlines.

breed 2: American Paint. I love this breed and would die for a black and white paint (one my dream horses!)

breed 3: An OTTB. I would love to get a OTTB (its another dream horse!) I've been looking at adoptions but even at adoptions there expensive and the more training the get the prices raise. The only real Con about this breed would be old race injury.

Right now I'm just not sure which breed. I was really leaning toward the QH until all the stuff about HYPP started popping up. It terrifies me that if I were to get a QH with my luck they would have HYPP and just not a risk I want to take.

another Breed I thought about was a morab but I don't really know to much about them. Heck idk anything about them.

tbstorm 07-28-2012 02:25 AM

I ride quarter horses and we do EVERYTHING with them! we dont compete yet but we jump with them, run barrels, trails, rope logs and drag them... pretty much everything! they're a lot of fun! I cant imagine owning anything else, well except an icelandic horse but thats my dream horse and i'd also have a QH :)

FirstCyte 07-28-2012 02:56 AM

An Appy! :D

Kayty 07-28-2012 02:58 AM

Why limit yourself to specific breeds? You will miss out on multitudes on very suitable horses if you do that.
Write a list of what you want in a horse, and what you absolutely don't want. And look for horses within that bracket, not their breed.

Your pros and cons lists are not terribly well thought out. I can tell you that there can be many more cons to an ottb than an old race injury.

shaggy 07-28-2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1619349)
Why limit yourself to specific breeds? You will miss out on multitudes on very suitable horses if you do that.
Write a list of what you want in a horse, and what you absolutely don't want. And look for horses within that bracket, not their breed.

Your pros and cons lists are not terribly well thought out. I can tell you that there can be many more cons to an ottb than an old race injury.

I wasn't really limiting myself those were just the breeds I most want to own one day! lol I know an old racing injury wouldn't be the only Con in an OTTB. Just the only Con that came to mind at 1 in the morning lol

shaggy 07-28-2012 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstCyte (Post 1619348)
An Appy! :D

Almsot forgot about Appys! I'll defiantly add them to the list!

shaggy 07-28-2012 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbstorm (Post 1619339)
I ride quarter horses and we do EVERYTHING with them! we dont compete yet but we jump with them, run barrels, trails, rope logs and drag them... pretty much everything! they're a lot of fun! I cant imagine owning anything else, well except an icelandic horse but thats my dream horse and i'd also have a QH :)

Im really leaning toward a QH cause I know that they can do so much! but HYPP thing scares me to death!

soenjer55 07-28-2012 03:26 AM

I agree with Kayty- instead of looking at only the breed, try writing a list of what you want in the horse itself. Then, of course, share it with us so we can really help you. For instance- what do you like temperament-wise in a horse? Quarter horses tend to be very calm, and paints follow along those lines. I don't have much experience with ottb's, or thoroughbreds, so I can't chip in with those, but I have heard that they are very different to train. Not necessarily difficult, but different... I also agree that your list of cons is rather lacking for the ottb.
In all my experience with arabians and arab crosses, I can tell you that they are generally hotter than stock breeds like qh's. I'm partial to them because I like hotter horses, but if you want a calm, easy ride, the qh is probably more suited for you.
But keep in mind that every horse is an individual, which is why it's much more important to know what you want the horse to be like than what breed. Although there is a higher chance of encountering certain traits in a certain breed (that's why there are breeds), there is no guarantee. So, again, write that list and I'd love to help you out!

soenjer55 07-28-2012 03:30 AM

And as for the fear of HYPP, just look at the horse's papers, that will tell you whether they're negative or positive, or have Impressive in their bloodlines.
Also, are you looking to seriously compete, or just do everything for fun?

shaggy 07-28-2012 04:41 AM

soenjer55- lol i know my OTTB con list is lacking I just thought it up tonight and Im going to work more on it tomorrow. and as for competing nothing serious as there are no show barns around here (wish there was tho) which would be another con for the OTTB. I would hate to get a retrained jumper and then it just sit in the field cause I have no where to compete. and i'll have to remember to ask to see papers if I ever go see any QH's!