The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Need Opinions about something with my instructor.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/need-opinions-about-something-my-instructor-132564/)

jfisher256 07-28-2012 03:35 AM

Need Opinions about something with my instructor..

So a few weeks ago I tried out the sale horse Willby a couple times to see if I liked him enough to buy him. Well I did, but he was unfortunately out of my price range and we weren't able to talk the owners down to a price we would be able to buy him at. Anyway, after that she never really gave me anything to work with. I told her what I wanted and she said she knows all these trainers/instructors who are selling more by word of mouth and very little advertising so it wouldn't be too hard to find something suited to me in my price range.

Well it's been a few weeks and I have barely heard back from her. I sent her a text about a week ago or so just briefly asking her about it and she said she would "try" to find something for me. I do want to add that I don't obsessively text her. Like I don't believe I have sent her a text in the past 2 weeks (despite her not trying to contact me) and my mom said to just leave it be for now because she's probably away or something. I am honestly not holding my breath that she's going to find something for me immediately. I didn't expect her at all to have someone right on the spot (Willby) the first time I told her in person what I was looking for! (a few weeks prior we had briefly discussed it over the phone)

I just think it bothers and annoys me a bit that she hasn't even attempted to get a hold of me. Not for a horse, scheduling lessons, nothing. So I think after this weekend is over I'm going to get a hold of her and see what's up.

Another thing that kind of annoyed me. I asked her what she thought of me going through a rescue/adoption and she said "don't do it" because clients end up doing that and then they have to bring the horse to her so she can train the horses. Of course, I agreed with it at the time, and it was also the day of my graduation party so I didn't really have time to go back and forth, because I was really just looking for a quick answer.

My thing with that is, I've found quite a few rescue horses that have been perfectly trained. Some have been surrendered by previous owners and are just looking for new homes. Doesn't mean that they need training just because they're at an adoption center. What are your opinions on this? Should I talk to her about the possibility? I have found a few that interest me that are well-trained, but it's frustrating when you have an instructor telling you to not go through a rescue... :? A horse I tried out a few years ago was through a rescue. A wonderful 10 year old OTTB gelding that did W/T/C, could jump, and responded to voice cues. I don't think he needed any training that I knew of.

For example, I found a horse that is currently at an adoption center because his own became ill and couldn't take care of him anymore. Has a very nice amount of dressage training, needs an advanced beginner rider (which I would consider myself a little more advanced than an advanced beginner), and has been used for lessons while he's been at the rescue and everyone that rides him loves him.

I 100% understand horse hunting can take up to several months. But when I have an instructor that just hasn't contacted me period in a few weeks it's just..ughh. But also because I really like this instructor and she really challenges me and pushes me more than any other instructor that I've had and she's super nice and helpful too.

Thanks for reading that (if you were able to make it through the whole thing). I'm just not really sure what to do right now. Of course I am going to contact her first about the lessons and then discuss the horse situation. What are your thoughts/opinions?

Joe4d 07-28-2012 03:43 AM

you asked instructor for help, instructor found you a horse that was perfect for you, then you didnt buy it. Then you ask for advice on where to look for a horse. They instructor gives the advice, and you decide to ignore it or argue with her. I probably wouldnt be returning your texts either.

usandpets 07-28-2012 05:36 AM

That was kind of harsh. The price wasn't in their budget.

OP - There's nothing wrong with you going to look at horses on your own. Have you asked your trainer if she could go with you to look at them? You could go look first and if the horse seems like it is a good thing, have the trainer then go with. Like you have seen, not all rescues are basket cases. Maybe your trainer has just had bad experiences with them.

Unless she really despises working with rescues or is overloaded with clients already, I don't know why she wouldn't want you to look at them. If they need training, that would mean more business for her. It could be that she is making some money by helping sell other people's horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saskia 07-28-2012 05:38 AM

It's not really an instructors job to find you a horse, and if they do it is often expected that they get a percentage of the sale price or fee.

In my experience, horses sold by instructors or people who use them are often a bit more pricey. Cheaper horses are often sold by country people, or people who aren't really into the horse scene. For this reason you might find that the horses that your instructor finds might not be in your price range.

Rescue horses can be fine, but you often don't know what you're getting.

A good way to do things is the find a horse you really like, go see it etc, and then before you purchase pay your instructor to come out and check it out for you.

greenness16 07-28-2012 06:27 AM

My advice would be to be a bit more proactive in looking for a horse (: You can ask your instructor for advice on what to look for, and of course it's great to have them go with you when trying a horse, but you're the one who knows what you want in a horse. I don't know what websites you have in your area, but there are often sites that get as many as hundreds of new ads every day. Like usandpets said, you can visit the horse yourself first, and then ask your instructor to come with you if you like the horse.

Also, your instructor might feel that it's your responsibility to schedule lessons. See if you can make a regular time, perhaps (:

Good luck with finding a horse!

Prinella 07-28-2012 06:59 AM

How much time do you spend with her? I know I'm willing to put more of MY FREE TIME into things for regular clients with whom I have a good relationship.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maple 07-28-2012 07:43 AM

146 Attachment(s)
I would suggest you go and look for horses yourself, but if you value your trainer's opinion do not make a final decision until you have spoken with her. Quite possibly the reason she hasn't come back to you is because she hasn't found something suitable in your price range.

Only you can find the right horse for you, she may find a good horse and you may not click with it. Get out and try horses out. If you find horses you can take on trial, do so and see if she can assist you in evaluating the horse with you. There is no harm in trying a horse out a few times, if you gel with something ask her to help you. BUT be prepared to offer her something for her help - her input into a sale horse is as beneficial, not if more so, than a lesson.

Remy410 07-28-2012 01:20 PM

My instructor wouldn't call me to schedule lessons, either, b/c she's too busy! She's got 100 other clients and a barn full of boarders to tend to. If you want lessons you need to get on a regular schedule with her, and you need to be proactive in setting that up. If you want help with locating a horse, you should do some shopping yourself, find a few prospects and set up appointments for you and your trainer to see them. I would also expect to compensate the trainer for her time. You need to get more involved in the process.

DancingArabian 07-28-2012 01:31 PM

There's a lot more to training than being able to walk/trot/canter and pop over baby jumps. You couldn't take that OTTB gelding you mentioned and call him a Dressage horse or a reiner just beacuse he could do the little bits he did.

When you're riding in a discipline, it's far more involved than those simple things - those are the things that are a solid foundation for any horse, even a pleasure horse, but they are not what makes a horse considered to be trained in a discipline.

First you have to consider what discipline you want to ride. The Dressage horse you mentioned would be pointless to get if you were a barrel racer. It could simply be that your trainer hasn't found a horse in your price range in the discpline you want that you would be able to handle and progress with.

jfisher256 07-28-2012 02:41 PM

I do agree she's busy and I have considered branching off to look myself (of course ask her if she would be able to come with me). I would agree it would bring more business to her but a part of me does understand if she's also too busy with other clients/training their horses. Plus part of her job selling other clients' horses is she makes a percentage of it, so I could understand where she was coming from.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1619342)
you asked instructor for help, instructor found you a horse that was perfect for you, then you didnt buy it. Then you ask for advice on where to look for a horse. They instructor gives the advice, and you decide to ignore it or argue with her. I probably wouldnt be returning your texts either.

First off, I never said she wasn't returning my texts. If you recall in the original post I said I haven't even tried to contact her for about 2 weeks. I'm sure she's plenty busy and has tons of clients and boarders to deal with. I've honestly been too busy to contact her. I'm going to college in the fall and July has been a busy busy month dealing with it, so it's been hard to find the time to get out to the barn. Starting to look at horses and take lessons when I was, was probably not the best time to start.

Secondly, all I did was, out of curiosity, was ask her what she thought of going through a rescue, that's all. Did I really like the horse she brought to me? Yeah I did, but it was out of my price range, so I presented another option. I never ignored her advice or argued with her at all. She has better things to do than to argue with someone through the phone and I know better than to argue with her.