The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   HDR saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/hdr-saddle-13258/)

IrishRider 08-13-2008 01:49 PM

HDR saddle

Hi. I posted questions about Thornhill saddles and now I am wanting feedback on the HDR saddles. Specifically the Pro A/O and the Rivella. Does anyone here have them? What have you heard about the quality of the leather, position, etc.?

Thanks for the help.

mudypony 08-13-2008 02:19 PM

I've never had any experience with HDR saddles but I've heard they are really bad quality. For around the same price you could get a Marcel Toulouse saddle that is MUCH better quality.

appylover31803 08-13-2008 04:05 PM

I have an HDR Pro event saddle (for sale) and the saddle seems to be good. I've never ridden in it so i don't know about what it does for your position or anything, but i believe it's a well made saddle.

superstareqrdr 08-14-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudypony
I've never had any experience with HDR saddles but I've heard they are really bad quality. For around the same price you could get a Marcel Toulouse saddle that is MUCH better quality.

M.Toulouse are really bad quality, which is why i Have to disgree with your post. I have a rivella (for sale). Its a reallly nice saddle, comfy and ive had it for 2 years. Just like with any saddle you have to take care of it. M.Toulouse are cheap and i've heard nothing but bad things about them.

kitten_Val 08-14-2008 12:01 PM

I tried HDR in Dover when I was looking for saddle and didn't like it at all under my back. But it depends on taste a lot... :)

superstareqrdr 08-14-2008 07:09 PM

Im selling mine, 1 becuase im totally over oakbark and 2 I'm getting a Tad Coffin :)

IrishRider 08-14-2008 07:33 PM

Those look like nice saddles. Congrats!

JillyBean 08-15-2008 09:30 PM

When I was looking for a Close Contact saddle, I first chose an HDR saddle. I'm almost positive it was the Pro A/O. They are beautiful saddles, for sure, but they are a terrible fit. I would not recommend them to anyone. It could have been my horse's back, but if my skinny little TB needed wider than a WIDE tree (I tried 3 different saddles), then we have some issues going on. Plus, I've also heard that they often have twisted trees and just general poor craftmanship.

When I rode in it (mistake, I know...), it pitched me forward too much. Even for a jumping saddle, it just over did it.

I finally settled on the Circuit Elite by Dover. It's a great saddle, perfectly balanced, similar price to the HDR, and often likened to an inexpensive version of the Pessoa. I've never ridden in a Pessoa, but they are good saddles, no doubt.

IrishRider 08-16-2008 09:59 AM

Wow I admit I am surprised but very greatful for everyone's answers. I think I will just stick to saving up for that Thornhill and call it good.