The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Should I take Jasper (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/should-i-take-jasper-132585/)

Horsnaround64 07-28-2012 10:54 AM

Should I take Jasper

Okay for any of you following my story. In a couple of weeks we leave to go camping with the horses. We do this every year my daughter her hubby and myself. Along with two other couples and one other this year. My question is do you think I should leave my well trained horse at home and take Jasper who would be green to this kind of riding. Years ago I would just take him. But find myself really thinking hard about it. This would be different riding then we do at home. More trees and up and down. I have been riding him everyday and he is doing wonderful. But do I want to enjoy my trip or use it as a learning process for him. I was trying to get my son in law to take him. But they have a horse coming home that they want to take. So we would have two that have not had that kind of riding. But six that are old pros. What do you think

Country Boy 07-28-2012 12:11 PM

I'd take Jasper. If he's going to be around experienced horses.

clippityclop 07-28-2012 12:26 PM

I agree - take Jasper. Sounds like the setting couldn't be better.

I take every youngster I break to the Texas hill country, camp and ride for at least 1 -2 weekends their first year under saddle. I had one little guy that was such a quick learner that he went with me and had only 12 days under saddle!

I go slow and give them time to look around and get their 'sea legs' so to speak. I take 1-2 hour rides a couple of times a day, very slow - sometimes we saddle up, just sit and watch things. There are numerous water crossings/slippery rocks, slopes/slides/switch backs/ uneven terrain from gravel to rocks as big as my head! Campers, bikers, hikers - tents - other horses - deer........it goes on and on!

They all come back with more confidence than they will ever need and when a horse has that confidence, man they learn so quick and just eat up everything you show them after that.

I can't even think of a reason why you shouldn't take him...only reasons why you should!:wink: Go for it - you know you will have fun!

Horsnaround64 08-08-2012 12:34 PM

We leave Sunday. And at this point he is going. Like you say no reason he shouldn't. It is more me then him. But we seem to be getting along well. And it will be a wealth of learning for him. Seven hour trailer ride to all the things on the trail. I will have lots of pictures and stories to tell when we get back

I feel bad for Zee he is my horse I take every where and he stands at the gate and looks so sad :(. I have a sister in law that loves to ride so I have been inviting her on our rides so zee can go. But know when we load up he will be sad

nuisance 08-08-2012 12:50 PM

Or, if there is room, take both. Ride jasper some, ride the other some. Will be good experience for jasper, just to be tied to the trailer and wait, as the riding will.

clippityclop 08-08-2012 07:26 PM

LOL - you sound like me - I went to an endurance ride once and was taking two horses and one would be left behind...well he wasn't...I stuck him in the trailer, too and they all went. At that point, what's one more bale of hay to take along? LOL!